New member, showing a 1/35 vignette

Hi guys,
I just joined this forum, I use to write about my works in a Swedish forum but I think it would be interesting to join here as well.
My name is Erik and I live in Gothenburg Sweden. I use to show my great interest in diorama on my YouTube channel. I also have a simple website: https://diowork.se/
Diorama and vignettes is my hobby since 7 years. I also have a great interest in old Vespa and Lambretta scooters, but that’s another story.

I have looked around a lite in this forum and I like what I see. I show you some pictures of a small diorama I made 2 years ago.
It’s a scene from The Brecourt Manor Assault that you all know about. The figures are made by Hobbyfan, the rest is scratch build.
A few days ago I was told in the comment field on YouTube that the paras didn’t use the BAR on D-Day, I am sorry for this mistake. Otherwise I am quite happy with the build:)
Nice to join you! Cheers Erik

23 Likes

Welcome Erik, and that is a beautiful little crafted dio … some sweet bits of intricate detailing … I love the willow type fencing making the trench sides, very clever. Figures look awesome as well. Fantastic and so much movement captured in a small space :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Top class work, Eric.

2 Likes

Yeah this is great. Just the kind of content we are looking for to get submitted to the new Armorama site. :wink:

Cheers,
Jim

2 Likes

Nice tight scene with a sense of drama and urgency. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Very nicely done!

2 Likes

And what an entry that is! A beautifully executed scene from Part 2 in Band of Brothers.

2 Likes

Exactly! :grinning: This vignette shows how precious and valuable this hobby really is in telling stories and depicting “scenes of history.”

Due to COVID in 2020, people can’t visit the actual WW2 sites, but these vignettes offer reminders and show viewers how things may have appeared 75 years ago. Thumbs way up and welcome!

2 Likes

that is one fabulous diorama, you can feel the tension as the American airborne trooper moves forward.

welcome to the site :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks a lot to all of you! I am very glad that you like it. Well I did my homework on the trench walls at least:)
Just to remember, my English is not so good, if I write a little strange sometimes please forgive me. But my goal is to improve my English:)
About the wall, first I did a test with thread as you see in this picture, but finally I found a plant that I could use.
After this warm welcome I feel free to show you more of my works further on.
/Erik

7 Likes

Your English is great! Your dio… wow! Its amazing!

1 Like

Beautiful diorama. The figures are great and I love the groundwork. Please post more of your work and submit it to Armorama for a photo feature.
People are usually wrong when they tell you something about WW2 as if it were written in stone. It took me about 5 minutes and I found this photo of a 101st Airborne in Normandy. I may be wrong but it sure looks to me like he’s holding a Browning Automatic Rifle to me.

Cheers,
C.

3 Likes

I may be wrong but it sure looks to me like he’s holding a Browning Automatic Rifle to me.

I may be wrong too but if you look closely I think you can see the 20 round clip for the BAR.

1 Like

Thanks again to all of you! Well it sure looks like a BAR. I just do the best research I can before making a diorama. But there will always be small details someone tell you is wrong. I like that in a way because I always want to improve both my knowledge and skills:)
Don’t you think that’s to most tricky thing with a diorama, finding the right figures with the right uniform with the right equipment at the right place and time…/Erik

2 Likes

I was able to find this, hope it helps.

And here is a pic of a 17th AB paratrooper using a BAR.

Not sure which unit but here’s a Paratrooper jumping into Normandy with a BAR.

2 Likes

Welcome indeed Erik, even I’d have drawn the line before DIY wickerwork but you went there and you aced it - a real gem of a vignette, how did you make the tree & bush? :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Somebody is always going to pick out some small detail and argue with you how wrong it is… Sometimes they are right and as a diorama/model builder you learn something. And yes, getting the uniforms, the correct winter parkas, the right boots etc. on commercial figures is always a challenge but that’s the fun of the ‘research’ aspect of diorama building. It would be easier for me if I were talented enough to sculpt my own figures to suit my needs but since I wasn’t endowed with that talent I just have to continue look for “the right” commercial figures.

Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

Thanks man! For both trees and bushes i normally use real branches, that’s a cheap and easy way:) In this case I used one of Noch’s foliage for the leafs. Groundwork and bushes are my favorite part in a diorama. /Erik

1 Like

Lol, I do the same thing using twigs etc. for my ground work. I always take walks looking for stuff I can use. Luckily I live in the woods so there’s a lot of natural stuff to be had. I always run it through the microwave to dry it out and kill any critters that might be living in it

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Excellent job Erik. I love airborne subjects, they’re my favorite and you’ve done a great job on the uniforms ; and outstanding ground work! Keep up the good work and welcome to the site. Your English is fine by the way …

1 Like