NEWS: Airfix 1/48 Westland Sea King HAS.1/HAS.5/HU.5

Looks like a really nice kit! Might have been even better with the raised rivets, but what the hell lol

1 Like

I have to admit that this one was a big surprise and not what I had expected. On the days running up to the announcement, Airfix’s Facebook page had been posting a lot of photos and videos of B-29’s. They even asked ‘Who wants one?’ So my money was on a new Superfortress.
It’s looks like a good one. I’m looking forward to seeing some built, but not for me I don’t think.
A Sea King is big enough in 1/72, so I doubt I would have the space.

Some sprue shots. It looks really nice.

A preview build by one of the contributors to the design.
Sea King HAS1 XV666, 826 NAS HMS Eagle 1970 - new tool 1/48 Airfix - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

2 Likes

You can build it all folded up to save space.

1 Like

That’s cool they did that. I wish Revell had done that with their 1/32 Lynx!
Unfortunately 1/48 isn’t a scale I work in a lot, so I’ve little interest in getting it and their 1/72 is still on my shopping list.

1 Like

Airfix have explained the reason for the recessed detail

Airfix have explained the reason for the recessed rivets

Hi Barny. I’m curious about the reason Airfix gave for their choice of rendering most of the rivets as recessed. Do you have a link or something?

Marc

1 Like

A couple of the review videos the designer talks about the reasoning behind it …on YouTube.Sam’s stuff is one . They explain that it was a hard decision to make in the end it was decided that the recess riveting was the way to go as the average model maker would find it easier to replicate recessed riveting as opposed to raised…as I company they have to think of the wider market not just the experienced model maker which makes sense.

2 Likes

Is it wrong to say that Airfix strikes back in recent years. They really do. In a time when others have given up or been sold to other manufactures, the stay strong… even with Brexit!

And, like an eastern European manufacturer’s large scale CH-54A kit, not a seatbelt or harness in sight it seems… More money for the aftermarket companies.