NEWS: Airfix 1/48 Westland Sea King HAS.1/HAS.5/HU.5

Airfix has announced plans to release a new tool 1/48 Westland Sea King HAS.1/HAS.5/HU.5.

Westland Sea King Summer Release | AeroScale

5 Likes

Hell ya !!!
I do like Helo’s !

2 Likes

Great looking kit. :+1:

These sure aren’t your old 70’s cardboard backing blister pack Airfix kits anymore…

1 Like

I’m interested in the colour scheme on 823, it’s from RNAS Culdrose, I will have to check next week when I’m there to see if it is the same markings as the one they have on display down there on the fence line … will try and do a walk around of it as well if I get the chance if I can sort out a date for it.

3 Likes

What an interesting idea, and a great-looking kit. Airfix may have finally tempted me back after about 40 years. I’m a little worried about their quality control, and tendency to oversimplify parts. At least that’s what I see in reviews. Even so, if the shots show a build of the production moulds, and the sprues look good when we see them… hello credit card.

Fantastic, another add on to my Falkland war theme. New moulds!!! Now, I have to tell the mistress of the house… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh me oh my, I love it!!!

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle: I don’t see 823 listed on the decal sheet and 3 out of the 4 are Culdrose.

2 Likes

Im on about the day glow red and grey scheme… side number under pilot window is 823 (on the first image above from Gino) ? the nose number is just 23 … they have this colour scheme at Culdrose now like I said on the fence line as a static display… just need to check the actual numbers on that one.
Heres another view from opposite side,

must be just plain 23, not sure what the 8 signifies ?? the kit decal options look like its the same SeaKing (XV666) but at different stages in its life ??

3 Likes

The decal sheet is all XV666 just different timeframes and paint schemes. The photos in the link are not all XV666 but probably just meant as representatives of the paint schemes or they didn’t pay close enough attention.

That 823 scheme is sharp. Probably more iconic than the Heli-Operation orange one, just I think the orange looks better. Either way a cracker of kit it looks to be.

3 Likes

I just saw Airfix’s photo. The surface detail is unbelievably good. All those overlapping panels! Bee-yootiful. I must have one.
But… the negative rivets…
I know, I know - these molds are spark eroded, not actually milled. In milling, making a positive rivet in the (negative) mold is a piece of cake, but in CDC spark erosion it is a very slow and costly exercise.
However, this technique would seem to do the trick, espcially as the kit already has evenly made negative rivets:
Here’s How To Put Raised Rivets On Your Scale Models

Has anyone tried this? Let me know how it went, please.

Rgds,

Marc

2 Likes

Interesting idea and technique but I think I have the patience or passion for any model to start let alone finish with that technique. Hats off to a modeler that can for the whole model.

2 Likes

Doing that would lead to insanity …

3 Likes

Your already there. :rofl:

1 Like

A nice one for the Sea King fans.

Wonder when Airfix will get around to the Blenheim Mk.IV? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is it wrong to say Airfix rules the British sky again? :yum:

And, if you want to know some more, here’s the Airfix promotional video. It’s nice to hear from the designers and researchers…

3 Likes