Next gen vehicle for those who don't do figures

There are some videos of robotic UGVs, some outdated designs by now, but the video gives a glimpse of what they had in mind before the pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_37svEw7vk

Here is the RIPSAW M5 and probably one of the reasons for the bogies…“whisper quiet.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NX7btiWLa0

Jane’s video on the RIPSAW M5…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOE7d7uYyk

“whisper quiet”… umhum :grin: yep, couldn’t hear it coming for the loud music
but blasting that music in the forest will give it away from a mile off.
Electric drive and rubber tracks makes it quiet though, but I don’t think the bogies have anything to do with it :wink:

All those bits and pieces in the suspension looks like perfect places for dirt to collect and obstruct the suspension

The camouflage makes it looks like something France would using in 1940.

1 Like

And there is this, itscares the bejeesas out of me…

A walking rifle in 6.5 creedmoor accurate out to 1200m. I’m staying home that day!

3 Likes

Do you WANT to have Terminators? Because that’s how we get Terminators!

3 Likes

Ready to be deployed for the next lock down. :roll_eyes:

I would be surprised if they did get it any of them. Their plan has been to us Army assets if needed. They cannot seem to get a LAV or AAV replacement fielded from what I recall. If the Army doesn’t pick it up and a good supply chain, I don’t expect the Marines will try it.

Here is an article on the Unmanned Vehicle at the top of this post.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42755/new-tracked-unmanned-vehicle-bristles-with-a-whopping-50-switchblade-suicide-drones

AUSA 2021 Twitter photos of the General Dynamics Land Systems TRX that started this thread.

The TRX had 50 Switchblade drones of various sizes.

Thanks for the update there, Peter; interesting camo…

What could go wrong?OVEXDGKFSLtWEDy46H_Mr0Xs89XSX44VNinksQ_KzDI

5 Likes

with the exception of the FMC family (M113 etc.), most of the light weight platforms are headed to the junk pile after a run in with a mine. Your bigger tracks will take a pretty good hit, but not a large anti tank mine either. Then there are the newer command detonated mines made from dud arty rounds and even bombs. A command detonated 155mm round will trash an M1 tank, let alone a light weight tank. I’ve M48’s ripped open like they were hit with a giant can opener, and the mine was simply a 155 round. That same round will often flip a light weight tank, but they are in vogue right now

The main advantage of torsion bars is weight. That saved weight can be put to use as armor plate. Repairs are actually pretty strait forward with torsion bars. The single worst parts are getting the broken stub out and of course the broken track links. The stub is fairly easy if you know the tricks of the trade.
gary

Humm… something involving a large sledge hammer a.d a torsion bar puller
We use to have torsion bars break just sitting in the motor pool.

1 Like

Proof that even some of the smallest unmanned ground combat drones can pack a mighty punch.

Army Futures Command held demonstrations of technology and equipment on May 16, 2019, at the Texas A&M University System’s RELLIS Campus in Bryan, Texas. Six weapons and defense industry vendors showcased seven autonomous combat vehicles in an effort for Army officials to decide which machines fit their needs best and what needs to be improved on. (U.S. Army Photo by Mr. Luke J. Allen)

Note the airless tires and the autocannon. I am not sure what caliber it is, but I’ll guess 30mm. What’s neat about it is that it can probably fit inside a V-22, CH-47, and CH-53 for added infantry firepower.

2 Likes

AMPV taken at AUSA 2021 by William Henry Harrison.

Hi Pete, great image there; that’s rather large for a remote control vehicle, but I guess it works.

Speaking of large, here’s one in reply, and would make a great kit feeding an M1299 ERCA.

Hi Kylie,

Yes, the AMPV isn’t remote, but it can be used as a command post to control remote vehicles in the future, I suppose.

Expeditionary-Modular-Autonomous-Vehicle (EMAV) with .50 caliber M2HB CROWS II photo. I haven’t seen it up-gunned with a 30mm as this vehicle is meant for litters and cargo for the troops. It is currently in testing along with the other candidates for the Remote Combat Vehicle (Light) program.

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, MD, UNITED STATES

Photo by John Higgins

Program Executive Office Intelligence, Electronic Warfare & Sensors

Subscribe

“The Terrestrial Layer System is the Army’s next generation tactical vehicle based system that delivers an integrated suite of Signals Intelligence (SIGINT), Electronic Warfare (EW), and Cyberspace Operations overmatch capabilities to enable the Joint All Domain Operational (JADO) Capable Force,” said Ken Strayer, Project Manager for Electronic Warfare and Cyber (PM EW&C). “When fielded, TLS will be assigned to the Multi-functional Platoon and the EW Platoon organic to the Military Intelligence (MI) Company (MICO) in the BCTs. TLS will provide the warfighter at multiple echelons critical situational awareness of the enemy through detection, identification, location, exploitation, and disruption of enemy signals of interest.” Design tenets are expeditionary to support the maneuver commander with electronic attack and offensive cyber warfare options to deny, degrade, disrupt, or manipulate enemy signals of interest and the targeted force. (Courtesy Photo Illustration).

I would assume that those two rear beige masts would telescope upwards, but I don’t know for sure.

1 Like

Good find, Pete; yes, I’d expect the sensors(?) to be mast mounted, too.

And in reply,a little something to carry your luggage

1 Like

Proof that heavy armament can indeed come in nothing but four wheels and a floor pan. I’m guessing that is 30mm and the vehicle is unmanned. Note the red-tipped COAX machine gun on the side.