Non Railway Modeller, Help, Please

Hi all,

I am looking to build a British WW2 dockside railway scene, I have bought the Dapol 00/H0 Pug as my loco and want to show it pulling a single piece of rolling stock. I would like to give the wagon a real battered and bent appearance, so was again leaning towards a kit as opposed to a ready built item.

However, I have no idea of what wagons suit a late 30s early-to-mid 40s time frame but was leaning towards the Dapol 16 Ton Mineral Wagon (see image below):

Would this be appropriate for the intended period, :thinking:?

Cheers, :beer:,

G

I don’t know when it was built, but it looks right, and might work if your crane had some sort of bucket to load coal onto an old steamship. Though I’m pretty sure they had more efficient methods of loading coal onto a ship.
This one might work for any number of loads, including torpedoes. It might be interesting with wooden racks to hold them. Minus those awful couplers of course.

1 Like

In short, yes, this mineral van is appropriate for WWII. They were built due to the huge war demand for coal, the Ministry of Transport (MoT) developed a specification for a standard 16-long-ton wagon. It was all steel and increased capacity by 33%. I read they built about 55,000 during the war.

History:
https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/the-railway/rolling-stock/windcutter-wagons/

Weathering
http://www.mrol.com.au/Pages/Vu/Weathering16TMineralWagons

1 Like

It looks as if a flat wagon could be easily built onto the chassis of one of the Dapol wagons.
https://www.dapol.co.uk/c041-10-ton-ventilated-meat-van-574

Regards,

M

Another option for conversion.

HTH

Thanks to 18bravo, Fred, Tom and Ryan for confirmation of suitability and alternative options, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:, your help is much appreciated chaps, :smile:.

G

3 Likes

I am getting stupid in my old age. How did I forget to suggest this book?

Appendix 2 Commemorative Second World War Locomotives and Railway Vehicles

1 Like

The books look very interesting Fred, I’ll read through the blurb and see if I can get them through my local library.

G

Hi all,

Another question, this time regarding the Pug locomotives used in the UK…

I have been looking at a number of photographs, and many of them show the Pugs in operation, but they don’t have a tender behind, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:…sorry couldn’t resist, :roll_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m presuming that they were coal fired, but none of the images suggest they have an internal coal supply, and indeed the Dapol Pug I’m modelling has a solid rear to the driving compartment, so a coal tender wouldn’t have been accessible.

Therefore, did they have to keep stopping and loading up the boiler was a static coal supply, or did they use other methods of keeping the boiler stoked, or am I missing something obvious, :thinking: :roll_eyes:?

G

G-man69 - I just saw this question, and I sent these questions/thread to a friend of mine in the USA for help to you. He is knowledgeable in Military subjects from earlier times/periods. Just to show you some of his work, check these out!

Might I ask where are you located? I am from Bradford, PA, USA

I hope you can find something you like in the above threads. Good luck !

Rich

Thanks for doing that Rich, much appreciated, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:. And I have to say that at first glance your friend has built a stunning WW1 scenario, and amazing project.

G :beer: