Non-Railway Modeller Needs More Help Please

1/30
I think the Tilly is included, single figures are close to $70

2 Likes

That is why I posted the link to the 1/72 Tilly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad to be of some assistance. I have enjoyed your past efforts and I’m sure this will be every bit as good.

Tim

2 Likes

Hannants have the ACE Tilly for £9.30 (ACE are from Ukraine so no need for moral qualms):

But Airfix also do one as part of this set (if you have a use for the other vehicles):

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Thanks for the links Tom, I did have the Airfix one, I built it for my dockside diorama. Though I seem to recall someone mentioning that it was a version specific to the RAF, or something like that, but it differed from the more widespread army variant, :thinking:.

I’ll probably go for the ACE one, it doesn’t seem to be silly money. I realised I would need a suitable bomb and got myself a bargain. I discovered that Italeri has two different sets entitled ‘WWII German Aircraft Weapons’, and I managed to pick them both up from an independent retailer for less than half the price of a single set on Amabay, or from my local model shop…result, :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:.

Thanks again, and cheers, :beer:,

G

2 Likes

Hi all,

This arrived today, it’s the book I mentioned previously above, ‘Bridges for Modellers by L. V. Wood’.

Initial perusal suggests it will be quite helpful, lots of useful photos and drawings (see examples below).

It also has a couple of photos of finished models, but it would have been nice to see some ‘step-by-step’ photos of actual builds. It would have been useful for someone like me who knows nothing about railways, nor of bridge building techniques, :worried:.

But a good start, nonetheless.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

9 Likes

Gents, I’m getting a lot out of your posts about building bridges and abutments. Thanks for sharing all of this. Gee, it looks like a wonderful book.

1 Like

Hi Fred, the book is proving very useful, especially to someone like me who knows nothing about railway architecture, :thinking: :worried:.

G

3 Likes

Hi all,

Rather than starting another topic I’m going to show any progress on this build in here, unless anyone thinks otherwise?

This weekend my Italeri ‘WWII German Aircraft Weapons’ sets arrived, so I now have a wide choice for my bomb disposal guys to work on.

The trick will be determining which ones are suitable for a UK bombed city scenario, :thinking: :roll_eyes:.

G

5 Likes

Allas, I know little about German bombs, and their use. What plane carried what bombs and at what time?

1 Like

Hi all,

The weather here has been a tad inclement, so I managed to get a start on mocking-up my bridge abutment using grey board, it’s the same material that is used for the backing on note pads. It comes in various thicknesses, I’m using a 2mm thick material as it provides a good structural base.

At the moment it’s a tad rough and ready, and only slotted together. It’s meant to represent a double track bridge, but due to my self-imposed A4 base size restriction It’ll probably be only half the width, hence the missing pilaster on the right-hand side.

However, I have made it almost full width at this stage so I can play around with it on an A4 sheet until I’m happy with the setting, I still need to build a wing wall return.

Please feel free to make comments and/or suggestions as I am no expert on bridge construction, :worried:.

G

5 Likes

You and me both Erwin, I’d probably end up using something unsuitable, :wink: :laughing:.

G, :beer:

Set yourself a time frame, that will assist in narrowing down the possible options…
For example, during the Blitz of 1940, I don’t think there were any JaBo’s around so bombs from later dates and those only carried by them can be excluded…

1 Like

Don’t forget warning signs

H.P.

4 Likes

Not sure if this will help at all G … and great start on the railway part …

1 Like

It might be my phone, but they are unreadable for me…

1 Like

Here’s a larger view of the top picture

and some info

H.P.

6 Likes

Thanks H.P for doing it the proper size …I didn’t resize it properly after I cut and pasted it here… :+1::+1::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

BBC show about the blitz bombs.

Blitz: The Bombs That Changed Britain

During the blitz the three German bombers used were the Heinkel He 111, Junkers Ju 88, and Dornier Do 17. The German bombers had a hard time getting larger bombs inside so I think they would use a load of mainly 50 or 250 kg bombs, and larger ones had to be carried outside on pylons. I’m sorry I’m going from memory and I don’t remember the various designations. The Germans also had a nasty habit of dropping huge two or three or four thousand pound parachute mines.

Ok, just looked things up.

The fuselage bomb bay used four, in later versions eight modular standard bomb racks designed to carry one SC250, 250 kg bomb or four SC50, 50 kg bombs each in nose up orientation (which resulted in the bombs doing a flip as they were dropped out of the aircraft). These modular standard bomb racks were a common feature on the first generation of Luftwaffe bombers (including the Junkers Ju 52, but it turned out that they limited the ordnance selection to bombs of only two sizes.

• Heinkel He 111
    From Academic Kids, n.d.

Wikipedia says the Do-17Z bombay was designed to carry four racks for the SC 50 100 lb bombs, two racks to carry a pair of thousand pound bombs, or racks to carry four 500 lb bombs.

This map is incredible: every bomb dropped on London:

UK National Archives bomb census

4 Likes

Reading that text image hurt the language center in my brain.
The German section kept shutting down and shorting out the
fuses so I had to reboot the whole thing a few times.
The correct (modern??) spelling for cylindrical in German is zylindrisch
Maybe the Luftwaffe for some reason or other got the idea to spell it with a c
instead of a z. In any case the last three letters shall be ‘sch’ and not ‘ich’.

Language rant finished.