North Américan XB-70 AV-1 "VALKYRIE" - Emergency landing - October 12, 1964

Well, optical illusion or beautifully crafted model, whichever you want to call it… I think it is fantastic :+1::+1::+1:

I read on a different site a blog of someone trying to build this airplane, he says it is a terrible fight, parts don’t fit, tons of putty needed, hours of sanding etc… yours came out fantastic :+1::+1:

3 Likes

The assembly itself was not easy either, because in terms of adjustments, it is not the kit of the century (Italeri still used the AMT/ERTL mold, which had aged very badly).
Some use a lot of putty to fill the spaces, I preferred to perfect the adjustments, redo them, to limit the use of putty, because it is better to have a good bond than a lot of puttying.

Ultimatelyl between, the construction of the parachutes, the painting, the assembly of the kit, the improvements made and especially the corrections, the run way, I spent more than approximately 500 hours

Here are some photos of some examples of the poor adjustments… These are just a few examples…I don’t think there is a piece that didn’t require a rework to get a proper fit.
this is why it is a model that we very rarely see finished. It is often abandoned during assembly… assembly is tiring, long and requires equipment, patience and mastery.
This is not a beginner’s kit, that’s for sure.

img_2104

7 Likes

And its obvious to see that you’re no beginner, your work is clearly of a very high standard.

I keep coming back for another look. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am a beginner in aerial modelling, but not in modelling, I have 30 years of passion for naval full scratch. But this XB-70 model is my very first plane

2 Likes

Would love to see some of your full scratch naval model builds!

le fougueux (destroyer) / restoration after years of inactivity : fougueux - Fougueux par fab-reims
le Richelieu (battleship) : richelieu - Richelieu 1950-1951 [scratch 1/100°] de fab-reims
le Jean Bert (battleship) : Jean Bart waterline par Fab-Reims

4 Likes

Dam !!!

I dig it!!!

Rod

Stunning work all around!

Your first aircraft !!! Wow !! There are people who’ve been building aircraft for 20 years probably and wish they could produce something like that (me included) and those scratch built ships… they are mind blowing…, what’s the scale of the Richelieu ? It’s massive

3 Likes

The ships are incredible! A++++

1 Like

For who has facebook, a video of a XB 70 landing and using those parachutes… while the landing gear is burning…

No FB, so here’s a YouTube version. HTH.

—mike

1 Like

That’s when the fire crew earns their money … impressive

1 Like

This is the video of his first landing at Edwards, his very first flight from the Palmdale base, on September 21, 1964.
During this first flight, he experienced engine problems (one stopped) and major overall hydraulic and electrics problems to the point that the ejection of the pilots and the voluntary crash of the plane had been considered, even if it meant losing this first prototype; the problems were accumulating without solution, the initial flight time was well exceeded and the fuel level was becoming more and more cyclical.
But the dexterity, the perseverance of the pilot (Colonel Joe Cotton) and his knowledge of the machine meant (to summarize) that by playing on the fuses he was able to lock the landing gear in the low position.
But the hydraulic problems remained and the brakes remained in the “on” position.
He therefore landed with his wheels blocked; hence the fire…
we will say that it did not start well.

3 Likes