North Vietnamese T-34

I pulled this out of the stash to take to work with me and I was wondering if the north Vietnamwar actually used the T-34/85 in combat against the Americans or the south Vietnamare as I am struggling to find any pictures or referenced to them being in combat between 1965 and 1975

1 Like

Maybe there is some aftermarket barrel with that strange muzzle brake and decals for this specific version of T-34/85 …

Edit: Dang it! See Dans comment below. It was such a cool picture though …
There are some others, hopefully legit, Vietnam pictures in that link so all hope is not lost.

2 Likes

I believe this photo is from Korea.

4 Likes

You could probably scratch build that muzzle brake it shouldn’t be that hard

1 Like

Yep, a couple of sharp knife/saw cuts and some warm water/light heat to bend back.

There was a decal sheet not long ago, probably not for that tank but similar for Korea that said tank knocked out by XXX.

What about the rifling?
:innocent: :grin:

4 Likes

Rifling-counting, are we? :innocent: :laughing:

4 Likes

left or right hand??

1 Like

Your cheeky fellow….:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It was a rifled barrel, with a smooth bore choke….X

2 Likes

The picture posted by Robin shows two T-34-85s destroyed by Fox Company, 27th Infantry Regiment “Wolfhounds” 25th Infantry Division, in the “Bowling Alley” Battle, part of the Battle of Kyongju, South Korea, (August 12–25, 1950).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bowling_Alley

H.P.

4 Likes

Here’s a nice little batch of NVA T-34s for ya

I do recall seeing somewhere a low level aerial recon type photo of some T-34s taken supposedly during the 1972 “Easter Invasion”. I’ll see if I can find it.

3 Likes

yes they did. Their first use was when they drove accross the DMZ in them, and attacked a couple places close to the DMZ. The ARVN mostly had M41’s, and still managed to knock out some. The rest were from LAW’s and recoiless rifles (probably 75mm or 90mm). All were eventually destroyed when they tried to roll thru the cities with no way but forward. They wouldn’t have gotten much further south before engaging the 5th Mech. Infantry, and that would have been fatal. All this pretty much happened after dark while the fly boys were sleeping on their warm and dry mattresses.
gary

2 Likes

the only armor I’ve seen pics of in the Easter affair were ZSU57’s. I have a book covering it, and wanta say they also had T59’s or T54’s. They didn’t fare well.
gary

1 Like

thanks guys,

I keep finding training pictures but I’m sure there must be some combat photographs out there some place.

Not the T-34, but the 1-69 AR did end up in a bizarre armor engagement against the NVA. The 1-69 easily won and scored two PT-76 kills and an APC kill, with evidence they had done more damage to others.

2 Likes