Oil paints for streaking

Worked a few techniques tonight on an old build. I believe it’s a type 99 pla tank. I built it early in covid and thought that this camo scheme will be the best to practice on for my current build.

The first two photos i was working the streaking scheme more then the dot filter. I layered the panel with some mineral spirits then applied my oil. After that i streaked with a dry brush.

These next two photos are the dot filter applied on a flat surface. I got a decent result as it covers up the original paint job in a brown ochre filter. I proceeded to do a little streaking but to big of dots on the top of the turret below the AA gun.

Final two photos are just more practice runs. I feel like the dot filter can be successful on vertical panels i just have to have the same color combo for each panel if i do it. I would have to maybe pick three colors that i can essentially space out equally and then drag down to get a filter. The dot filter interest me the most because it gives some great results, plus you can always come back and add more streaks to it if you aren’t satisfied with how the filter turned out.

3 Likes

@Mead93 im not sure if you posted it but what do you use when you say thinner? Is it a mineral spirit of an actually paint thinner from your local hobby store. I did some painting tonight and used the mineral spirits from hobby lobby that i had on hand. I hope i didn’t use the wrong thing!

You are getting the hang of it Gregory. You are correct about picking a limited number of colors and doing the same for each of the panels- you don’t need too many colors although there is no ‘wrong’ amount of colors either. Just make sure you leave it to dry for at least a day or perhaps two before going near the area with thinner again.

As for thinner the best is usually one designed for modelling as they tend to be low odor and not quite as strong as that from a DIY store- if you do use a thinner from a DIY store make sure it is a low odor variety.

1 Like

I’m using Mona Lisa low door thinner. It says it’s a mineral spirits but my googling and the fact it smells faintly of lighter fluid tells me it’s naphtha. It works really well. The mineral spirits from the hardware store actually interacted with my clear coat

@Mead93 i think I’ve seen that thinner at hobby lobby before. I know I’ve heard of odorless thinner because ammo Mig sells some as well. Thank you !

@Karl187 I think it’ll be good by the time I try it on my new build! I’m not sure if my thinner was holding me back or not so I’ll probably try some more this weekend.

Weathered the turret with an oil dot filter tonight and here is how it turned out. I feel like i got the streaking effect down and I’m not to disappointed in the results. It looks really worn as if it’s been on maneuvers for a month.

I feel like my streaking is good, I’m not sure if the oil dot filter is supposed to show the streams or not. I honestly feel that this makes the vehicle look as if it has been in constant use. What’s everyone’s thought

2 Likes

Yes I get what you are saying about it being in constant use- in wet and muddy terrain it likely would get pretty filthy. I think the streaking looks good. I’m just wondering what size dots you are using? And yes the oil dot filter usually shows streams running down surfaces but you can make these as faint or as obvious as you want by either blending them more or less.

1 Like

@Karl187 my dot sauce has been pretty consistent, I’ve been try to keep it small for the filter but then go back and for the streaking effect i do two dot or a a small line. The small line i can pull out down with the brush and extend to blend into the filter and get the streaking look.

Here was my first set of dots.
I also brushed the turret down with mineral spirits and then applied my dots.

Edit: something else I’m thinking of doing is limiting the number of colors.‘when breaking it down to three colors rather then the six I’ve been using. As well as i may look at just using a toothpick rather then a brush to apply my dots too. What’s the consensus on that?

Don’t drag your brush up if you’re doing “streaking and rain marks”. Always move down. Don’t ask me “why?”, just try it for yourself if you don’t believe me.
To avoid frustration, decide if you are going to work on a flat finish or a glossy finish. I generally work a filter on a flat finish and streaking, pin washes, and washes on a gloss finish.
I think, IMHO, that the best way to learn is to just do it. You’ll discover what you like and what works for you. Take care and stay safe.

1 Like

@Lakota ill try this method on the hull. I dragged going upwards when it came to the area that Is inside the cages on the turret as that was the way i saw best to get streaking in there.
The finish i have currently is flat, i thought about doing a gloss finish but the flat is all i have currently in my house. This tank was going to be test run for if i truly like the oil dot filter or not. I knew it wouldn’t be perfect but i figured it’d give me an idea on what needs to be refined in my painting process.

Dots look just the right size. Color wise you can always limit it like you said, especially if the area is small. Then, once it’s dry you can always do more dot filters later. Same for adding streaking effects. You can also use a toothpick but I, personally, don’t find it as good as a brush.

1 Like

@Karl187 im going to see if i like the toothbrush tonight. I feel like it may be good for small parts of the model. The brush i used was small in size. I think it’s my technique with the smaller array of colors thatll improve in the next iteration.

Here’s an update on the lower hull concentrate don using three to four colors this time and the filter become more consistent. I bit heavy in some places but i feel like I’m grasping this technique a lot better then i did last night.

4 Likes

A good “tweener” is to use a Satin clear coat on it.

1 Like

Did you attempt to fade the finish some with your airbrush before filters et.al?

@Blucop not necessarily

I’ll take that as a no.

It’s looking great IMHO.

1 Like

@Blucop i just went over the rough edges on this one to smooth them out. Used the filter to try and fade it a bit. I personally like how it came out, got the right look in my eyes.
I’m assuming by fading you mean lightly airbrushing a base color over it all , I’ve done this with a Tiger before using the light yellow base. Didn’t try it this time, my ammo Mig paints have been getting finicky as of late and I’m not sure if it’s an air compressor/ air brush issue or an paint issue.

@Lakota appreciate it, it looks like it’s been in the field doing maneuvers and that’s what i wanted to show. Unfortunately, these ammo mig paints kind of ran a little more then usual so doing any sort of fading with paints wasn’t going to happen.