Old D & D figures - new paint

I don’t have many minis left; half were stolen from a storage unit and most of the rest I sold a while back but I hung onto a few pieces.

6 Likes

Nice paint jobs on those

Minifigs! (Miniature Figurines)
L to R: DWF10, DWF?(OOP?), DWF4
I used to drop into their factory/shop in Southampton in the early’70s. They always seemed to have something innovative. 15mm strips. 5mm blocks. The ME range (I bought the goblin wolf riders but mounted them on Britain’s plastic wolves).
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=3&CategoryID=35&SubCategoryID=269
I believe ME56 may be one of, if not the, first fantasy figures. I first saw one in the possession of a gaming friend at least a year before the first fantasy range (ME) emerged and was told it was a spare figure from a limited run of figures made for a commission. This is confirmed by the thick spear, by the time the ME range was mastered Minifigs had progressed to casting figures with near-scale thickness weapons.

Surrendering Bears!

Cheers,

M

4 Likes

The Minifigs were my first D&D fig purchases. My LHS had a handful of them in stock and I bought a few before discovering Heritage and Ral Partha at another shop. I liked the Minifigs as they were based on the art in the Monster Manual.

3 Likes

Or possibly the other way round. Some of the critters in the Monster Manual were cheap bendy plastic figures one could find on market stalls! When I returned home I was introduced to D&D by a group of telephone engineers; apart from the Minifigs (which were a surprise to them) most figures were from the Airfix “Robin Hood”, “Sheriff of Nottingham”, “Tarzan” and “Zoo” sets and some monsters home sculpted from putty…

Regards,

M

2 Likes

Wow, did we all play D&D? What is it about the model builder’s demographic? Why are we all so freakishly alike? It beats statistics. All had GI Joes, all Star Wars fans, all OCD, half military, all played D&D…the list goes on. It’s spooky.

5 Likes

I was thinking the very same this morning when I saw all the replies lol …

2 Likes

I almost fit the profile if you substitute (bipolar?) aspie for OCD and I’m in the half who never wore a uniform (other than for school) but the people who did allowed me to play with my toys on their property (including a Kalashniklone on the Individual Battle Skills Range). The one box I don’t tick is that I never had an Action Man figure but over the years I have picked up some large collectable figures, some of which are poseable with accessories, but only from “El Cheapo” discount stores. It started when I saw a couple of Mad Max Road Warrior figures which proved irresistible. I do look online at the “dress up” One Sixth figures and admire some (the Post-Apoc ones) but there’s no way I’ll be going down that route.
I also thought collecting die cast model cars was a sign of senility and I have to admit it is true, of late I have being buying 1/24th scale movie-related cars rather than (or worse, in addition to) their plastic kit equivalents in the sure and certain knowledge that I’ll never get round to many of the latter and even if I did they would not look as good.

Regards,

M

3 Likes

Well you need to include me too… except for GI Joe, which did not hit our shores for a long time.

Went and found some of the figures I still have.

ORCS the mainstay of D&D villany…

Ral Partha Reptiles:

Thief, Knights and Druid

Dwarves:

some that I started repainting and never finished:

Forgotten Realms. Draconians, Wulfgar "The Crystal Shard"and Dragonbait from “Azure Bonds”

…and a scratchbuilt Beholder… didn’t that ‘throw the grenade in the pond’ when I introduced that!

6 Likes

I’m already so far down the rabbit hole … Lol

3 Likes

This is true

This is so great!

1 Like

6 Likes

I’m not going to repaint any of my old ones because I’ll preserve the skill level I was at, at that time. I’ll paint paint the unpainted ones tho

3 Likes

GI Joes - :heavy_check_mark:
Star Wars fans - :heavy_check_mark:
OCD - :heavy_check_mark:
Military - no
Played D&D - :heavy_check_mark:
Model Builder check :heavy_check_mark:

It’s spooky :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

I like that Wade :+1:

Action man/GI Joe. Yes
Star Wars fans - yes
OCD - marginal lol
Military - yes
Played D&D - yes
LotR genre fantasy zeolot - massive yes
Model Builder (allegedly :grin:) yes

5 Likes

This can have its own thread.

GI Joes - :bell::bell:
Star Wars fans - :bell::bell:
OCD - :bell:
Military - :bell::bell:
Played D&D - :no_bell:
Model collector - :bell::bell::bell::bell:

6 Likes

Six Million Dollar Man with Bionic Eye :eye: and Bionic Arm lifting action :mechanical_arm: - :ballot_box_with_check:
Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle with Ramp - :ballot_box_with_check:
Star Wars fan - :black_square_button: Seen some Star Wars movies and like them - :ballot_box_with_check:
OCD - :ballot_box_with_check:
Military - :black_square_button: Military Family - :ballot_box_with_check:
Played D&D - :ballot_box_with_check:
Still have the D&D Dice, Figures, Manuals, Modules, stuff, etc - :ballot_box_with_check:
Model Builder - :ballot_box_with_check:

4 Likes

Finally pulled them out. He did even better than I remember.

7 Likes

They look good. He was already painting shadows and highlights in the garments and armor. Great personalities in each figure

3 Likes

Some really lovely painting on those… Looks like a lot of time and effort went into each one :+1:

2 Likes