Operation "Epsom" details

I’d like to see the text you were going to write for these pics Jerry- as others said some of us do enjoy reading it!

Having said that it is obvious that the pictures pretty much speak for themselves. The scenes of the infantry advancing remind me of one of those sweeping panorama shots in a film- all that is missing is the shouted orders, the wind rustling the grass and the tanks burbling and clanking in the background. But I’m sure we’re all imagining that as we look. Then, if it was a film, as you see the Germans hiding in wait the music builds up the tension and then all hell breaks loose when the first man goes down- such a well animated figure that is- then in comes the shouted radio orders and the distant artillery barking in response before the MG-42 starts rattling and the Germans start their defense in earnest.

1 Like

Thanks boots ol buddy,
Very kind words and thanks for picking up on those details,
J

Thanks Dale,
Those words mean a lot to me and in turn,you are bolstering my spirits as well. To be fair,my dailt routine has not been affected much by this last year of tribulation but the avalanch of bad news lately has gotten to me a bit.
Thanks again man,
J

Thanks so much for picking up on all those points and writing your thoughts. I always appreciate that.
J

Wow! Very well written man! Maybe I should enlist you for the job of text writer! Great word pictures.
To be honest I do like writing the captions but I am kinda mentally burned out right now with the overall world situation. After I posted the whole deal on FB I found it difficult to write it again.
J

Jerry, don’t stop posting your text. I always enjoy reading it, the back story and the amount of research you do is stunning, rather like these latest photos. That sepia one has the look of the colourised black and white prints you see on the 'net, it looks real. The infantry attack certainly captures the look of period photographs. The other thing is that you are pretty much unique here at posting WW2 British tanks and troops, especially in a Normandy setting. So please don’t stop!

Open fields…

the entire beginning part of Epsom took place over wide open fields buddy.

Right-a hard place to advance to contact.

the worse! Luckily the walking barrage was overwhelming and it helped a lot.

Thank you Sir,for noticing all of that! I will keep going as it has still kept my attention.
It means I have to walk a fine line to explain my thinking. Just because I like doing it doesn’t mean anyone else does. I have nothing else to go by except the “views” on here and the comments. If they diminish with each post,etc that is the only barometer I have for checking folks interest. Some may take this as an ego thing but it isn’t. I hope I described my position well. I don’t always have success doing that.
J

Gotta love the way this thread’s progressed Jerry, you’ve been firing off pot-shots for a while now and suddenly wham you unload a 50 cal. burst of images- dead on target natch & they’ve said it all already. Fantastic narrative, captions always welcome & nice smoke effects too, I can just see you settling back with a cool Gordo after a long photo session :tumbler_glass:

Hi Jerry,

A true work of artistic atmospheric dynamism, your pictures do paint a thousand words, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

Thanks man. I really should have taken the time to write the captions in but I had already done that on FB and I really hate repeating work. Wish there was a way to write the whole thing somewhere central and just transfer it onto the 2 separate platforms,thus saving me that effort.
Maybe I should repost this here with the text since the pics showed up here out of sequence ?
J

Thanks G,
Very kind and supportive words for sure mate,
J

Thanks for the explanation. It actually makes sense now :blush:

I also enjoy the narrative. It reads like a war diary, interspersed with pictures of the action.
As for copying the text: write it in Word or WordPad first, so you don’t have to write it twice.

1 Like

So would anyone like me to post the original episode the way it appeared on FB ?
These pics showed up here out of sequence plus I am now feeling strong enough to re-type the text ?

If you feel so, yes please…

1 Like

Yeah man , that would be cool !!

1 Like

Operation Epsom-episode 5
On the left flank of the 15th Scottish Division attack the Royal Scots Fusiliers had run the gauntlet of fire from the Carpiquet Airfield to their left front. That, combined with obstacles and mine fields had caused the Churchills from the 9RTR to become separated from the Infantry. The Infantry in turn, had fallen behind the rolling covering barrage.
Never the less, soon the initial objective, the village of St Manvieu, loomed into view. The ground up till then had been fairly level and completely open. From this point the hedgerows and orchards became more numerous as you get closer to the Oden River.
The first glimpse of the artillery devastated hamlet appears through a hedge.

7 Likes