Operation "Epsom" details

Looking really good Jerry, the timber trusses really add to the overall feel of devastation, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

The rolling stock an locs are all finished. Comming up next are the painting of 20+ figuresā€¦ I got on a side track now for a simple dio that might be completed shortly before I will go back on the main track:

Thanks G for looking in and commenting. Nice words for sure.I was using a few pics from Cheux during Epsom for a guide here.

J

Ahhh I see. I do that as well. It helps with the dedication to a large project for me to finish a small one in the middle of the big one. This gives me a needed sense of ā€œfinishing somethingā€. Otherwise I loose interest in completing the bigger project. And this project I am on to now is my biggest ever.
J

1 Like

Same hereā€¦ My first dio was big at 40 figs, but the variety of the other items (train, buildings, etc) was big enough at keeping me going. This one, however is at a different scaleā€¦ All figs (but one) are Wehrmacht, so the uniforms will be also very repetitiveā€¦

1 Like

Really nice colors on the stones Jerry- contrasts nicely with the damaged interior. The wallpaper is a neat touch!

Thanks Karl ol buddy. The interior rubble will get lighter after I am done with more dry brushing. I think I began with a base color that was too dark but heyā€¦ every day is a new learning experience for me,
J

1 Like

ā€œStarted a slammed village house.ā€
Iā€™m sorry for adding another semi-off topic post to your thread, but I have a feeling this is going to become one of those legendary builds that people are going to be pointed to when they want to see how something is done really right.
The point I wish to make (mostly for the benefit of non-Europe based readers) is that when creating a ruined European building, that although the outward appearance may not betray it the basic structure can be quite old and in some cases seriously old. It was often the case with town houses that when fashions changed a new facade was added to an older building ā€“ often much older. Such re-use of structures can only be seen when rendering is removed during redevelopment ā€“ or when the building is damaged. Iā€™ve attached a photo of a building restored a few years ago from near dereliction. The original structure dates to the second decade of the eighteenth century and is believed to have been warehousing attached to the town house of a successful merchant. As can be seen some original small windows were bricked up at a later date when (or after) the roof level was raised and a large window inserted where the original doorway was partly sealed and another entrance inserted to the side, presumably on the site of (and destroying) another small square window. The upper lintel of the inserted window at first floor level is just below where the peak of the original gable would have been. The elevation has now been re-rendered and looks brand new. Such re-use of standing structures is far from rare and while not readily recognisable in occupied buildings there are many places around that town where single walls of demolished buildings have been left partly standing as property boundaries a similar history of windows, doors and other openings having been sealed and others opened can be discerned.

Regards,

M

2 Likes

Beautiful destruction JR , ā€¦ looks like there ainā€™t no putting the candy back in that pinata , sorry canā€™t figure out how to add a tilde ā€¦

Very good point and thanks for the very generous words buddy! I donā€™t think you could have found a more illustrative picture for the point you are making. Superb! I am almost tempting to take time out just to replicate that in scale.
I have another project underway involving old buildings and it is tricky to get the point across just how small most window opening were back then. Glass was expensive and the heat factor in winter was also a factor. Folks in the New World find this hard to grasp, through no fault of their own.
I am still going back again and again to admire your pic. Brilliant!
J

1 Like

Thanks good buddy! I appreciate that man,
J

Thank you for your kind words and again indulging my wanderings away from the point. I am intrigued by your other ā€œOld Buildingsā€ project but realise this thread may not be the appropriate place to discuss it. I notice this board hosts both ā€œGeneral Discussionsā€ and ā€œUncategorizedā€ sections, perhaps we could do something there? In the meantime, given your appreciation of the photo for which I posted the thumbnail, Iā€™m going to chance my arm with a few more you may find of interest. These were taken on the same occasion (about eight years ago) and some 900m away from the previous structure, and show where building walls have been left at the edge of a property. The first shows the surviving ground floors of several adjacent buildings, the individual properties being differentiated where their walls simply butt up against each other. The clearest example can be seen above the third-from-the-left black post of the fence (of a car park) which runs down the middle of what was a narrow cobbled alley with a central gutter.

The second shot is of the same stretch of wall from the opposite end of the former alley. Note the low arch in the right foreground next to the white rendering: this was to admit light to the cellar, cellars frequently (even in up-market houses) being let out as particularly squalid accommodation with a single space often being occupied by more than one family.

The third picture is of the reverse of the section of wall shown in the previous two. The area is used for private parking, the current ground level being that of the cellars partially filled by debris from the buildings which once stood above. Itā€™s probably easier to make out the divisions between the properties from this direction as some stones which tied into the various side walls still project. Note the holes in the wall of the leftmost building for the beams of the first storey floor, and that the walls above seem to have been demolished down to the sill level of the first floor windows. I suspect the modern breeze-block infill are repairs made after this construction had already become a boundary feature (or perhaps at the time when it did) but I cannot be sure: there is another area of car parking nearby which I can distinctly recall from my early childhood as being occupied by functioning shops with accommodation above.

I hope this has been of some interest/use.

Regards.

M

1 Like

No worries, I have had other longer threads that ended up having a wealth of research photos added from various sources. This new crop of pics shows a rich quilt of different era stonework. Nice to look at for me. I may be able to go back to these pics for a later project!
Thanks for posting,
J

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you might find some use for the photos. If/When you proceed with your old buildings project Iā€™ll be happy to find some more. I donā€™t build much nowadays, so I need to find some other way to make myself useful around hereā€¦ I need to get another camera, and perhaps more importantly the capacity to scan slides as I have some good photos of things now gone; then I will be able to offer you stuff from stone circles to pillboxes and a fair variety in between.

Regards,

M

That would certainly be appreciated for sure. Thanks a bunch buddy!
J

1 Like

The Royal Scots begin to clear St Manvieu. It will take all afternoon to accomplish this and with a substantial cost.
The young Grenadiers of the I/26 $$ PzGrenRegt sell their lives dearly as they withdraw through the HQ area.

3 Likes

A few washes here and there and I think Iā€™m there.
J

7 Likes

that is absolutly brilliant! :smiley:

Thanks mate! Glad you liked it and welcome back!
J

yeah, looks pretty good there.
did you make the backround? thatā€™s pretty cool too!
Cheers!
L