OPFOR Spartan @ BATUS

I am currently working on a 1/72-scale CVR(T) Spartan LEP,
with the intention of depicting it as an OPFOR vehicle at BATUS.
Referring to the attached image, can anyone identify the item
marked with the green arrow?
Also, in addition to the standard antennas, what exactly is the one
marked with the blue arrow, and where is it located on the vehicle?
Finally, I gather the item marked with the red arrow is a sensor linked
with the TES arrangement. Would there be other items around the vehicle
as part of this system? I note that the sensor is attached to the side of the
stowage bin. How would it be attached if the cover was fully secured over
the sides of the bin?

Thanks,

Paul

2 Likes

Green item is the Veh track clamp for tightening track links prior to splitting the track then dropping a link or other track maint.

TES sensors (X4 ) would roughly be on each corner of the wagon, and the bin covers can still be secured even with the sensor in that location, just needs a bit of repositioning. TES rules dictate that no sensor can be hidden once the exercise is live, so they are always in prominent locations.

The other aerial/ antenna is linked to the TES system via Sat Nav. When an exercise is live, every participating vehicle (red and blue forces) is uploaded to ExCon out on the plain so they have a live real time feed of every vehicle location.

2 Likes

Johnnych01,
As always, you have the answers to these types of question.
Incidentally, where would the other two sensors be located on this particular vehicle?

Many thanks,

Paul

1 Like

If you look closely that looks like a double fit, two sensors fitted at the corner of the basket. There would be a further two in a similar position on the other rear corner of the basket.

1 Like

Maximus8425,

Thankyou … I can see what you mean.

Paul

1 Like

Johnnych01,

Referring to what you described as the ‘vehicle track clamp’, do you have a close-up photo and dimensions of this particular item? The lower section is clearly visible in the above image, but I am not sure of the detail in the upper part.

Also, do you have a close-up photo of the GPMG mount? I need to scratch-build this (without the gun in place).

Thanks,

Paul

1 Like

Paul, here are a few better images of the clamp.

and parts …
Red is the movable adjuster bar, the one under it at the end is the fixed one.
The long screw (blue) moves the adjuster bar up and down once its secured into a link.
The 4 green corners show the fixed outer frame.

the width (length across the adjuster bar) is just under the full length of a single link so you can use your kit tracks for that measurment.
Overall height of frame is the same as in the pic you posted — from the top of the sloped hull side to its bottoem edge, but the Spartan in that pic does not have the sponson plate fitted. - bear that in mind for your build.

For the GPMG mount i used memory and images from prime portal of a BATUS LEP Spartan.

Hope that helps … John

1 Like

Here’s the GPMG mount I built for my 1/35 Spartan…
The one i built for my Striker had the GPMG fitted so didn’t bother with that one.

1 Like

Many thanks … most helpful!

Paul

1 Like

In addition to the TES sensors (marked with the red arrow), what other items would be standard on a vehicle on exercise at BATUS? Presumably, the item marked with the blue arrow would be one of these features.

Thamks,

Paul

2 Likes

Sorry missed this earlier Paul. That item under the blue is also part of the TES sensor GPS set up. It was usually on a bracket along with the antenna to its left that has the teardrop shaped end. And for each part of the TES equipment, it will be supported/connected by an absolute ton of black cabling — there will also be a Speaker located somewhere as well, usually on or near the rear roof basket.
IIRC, there were also 2 smaller optical sensors on the front sloping enging decks, but they would be out of sight in the above pic as they are behind the 2 standing guys.
I will see if I can find another image. And thinking about it more, the one I remember fitting out was on a Sturgeon, not a Spartan, so that fit out may be slightly different… will have a look :+1:

1 Like