Optic coatings on modern AFV's

I’ve noticed that modern AFV’s optics/periscopes have some kind of coating that changes color depending on the angle of view, or light. I’m wondering if a material used in fishing might be able to replicate that effect: Holographic Adhesive Film Flash Tape Lure | Holographic Adhesive Film Flash Fishing - Fishing Lures - Aliexpress
I’m thinking sheet #7 might have a suitable pattern/effect.
:smiley: :canada:

I use the coloured foil wrappers for choc bars… a tasty treat while having modelling fun …

Yeah…“Space Blanket” material (mylar) works. And one inexpensive space blanket gives enough material for hundreds of models, but does not give the spectral effect. Better for mirrors.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

I think the stuff AFV Club (and others) sells does a good job of replicating that “shimmery” effect; but if you want to save money you can use the plastic confetti or sequins sold in craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael’s. You can get these in a variety of different colors for different optics (LRFs, thermal sights, etc.) but for the basic shimmery look get the “clear” or “white” or “translucent” kind.
Ken

I’ve seen a few modelers use the film layer from a DVD with outstanding results

I’ve seen the SMS holo/colour-changing paints used to do it, but I have a feeling it might come out too reflective, and not transparent enough.

How do you even get that?
Ken

From what I remember you carefully break the DVD and cut out the size pieces you need from the film layered between the plastic layers. Sorry I can’t be more descriptive the video was done by a Russian speaking modeler on Youtube creating the lens for modern Russian armour in 1/35 scale.

1 Like