Orange/Amber Reflectors for 1/35 Leopard 2- Source/

Hi All,

i’m trying to finish my Meng Leopard 2A7 tank, and it’s painted and weathering is pretty well along. The only thing it is missing are the small rectangular orange or amber reflectors (or what I’m assuming are reflector) along the outside of the side skirts. i think there are supposed to be 3 or 4 on each side of the tank. I’ve seen them on several photos of completed builds, and it’s made me think that those reflectors were included either as decals, or clear parts that could be painted transparent orange, but I’ve not found any evidence of this in the kit. I did find some references to aftermarket reflectors, but they are out of stock or out of production everywhere. Does anyone know what I’m talking about, and whether those reflectors can be found anywhere, or created from scratch? Any help would be great!

I’ve not seen these reflectors; have you any references to share? Only ones I know are front and rear but not on the skirts.

From online and for discussion only.

The front one appears to be missing from the bottom image so maybe removable or easily knocked off ?
I have also seen lots of images with no reflective bits fitted on the side as well …

Johnny, thanks for posting the photos that show the reflectors I’m talking about.
Maybe these aren’t critical items to finish off the Leopard, but it’s a nice touch and it looks really good on the completed models that I’ve seen. But if I can’t find a source, I guess I’ll just go without them.

Curt,
Go to the candy store for reflectors of most any color: Lots of chocolates are wrapped in very thin aluminum foil that’s printed in all colors of the rainbow. All you have to do is cut or punch out what you need and apply it with clear gloss paint:

Peter

1 Like

If you cant find a source Curt but still want to do them, I would just get an old piece of PE similar in shape etc ( i just looked at a random fret on my bench and saw bits I could use or cut to shape, add them, paint them silver then go with a top coat of tamiya clear orange or similar … job done. There is photo evidence so there’s no harm in adding them

When this kind of stuff isn’t provided as a clear part in a box I usually first paint the part bright orange and then I cover it with clear orange (one or two coats depending on the result you need).
I do the same with most of the solid plastic turning lights.

Olivier

1 Like

Great ideas, guys, thanks so much! I’m going to try both suggested methods and see which of them I like the best!

Hello!
I’ve got another idea for you - and it’s one I practiced when I built the swedish S-tank:

What I did was I took a lid from a yoghurt cup - made from aluminium foil, but one with those funky small wrinkles or corrugations. I painted the shiny side (insides) with clear orange and clear red, and then I cut them up in stripes of right width and length - and I wound up with reflectors like you see pictured. I can recommend this method - the cool thing is the reflectors really work!

Good luck with your build and have a nice day

Paweł

3 Likes

I paint it with aluminium color and then clear orange over it. Whatever you chose, I’d suggest testing it out thoroughly first.

Butterscotch candy wrapper?

Dont know if these are available but would they do?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/echelon-fine-details-d356035-orange-reflectors-modern-swedish-afvs--204611

Keith