Oshkosh 2022 | Armorama™

Jeeps and fuel truck at EAA warbirds area Oshkosh WI 2022

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/trying-another-test

Nice pics. The first Jeep is not a WWII Willys MB though. It is a post war CJ2A. You can tell by the external fuel filler and lack of tool slots/attachments on the left side. The CJ2A grill had only 7 vertical slots and larger, surface mounted headlights. It also had a taller windshield to allow more headroom and should have a tailgate, but I can’t tell from the pics. The rear step bumper/tow strip is also a give-away.

It looks like it has been “backdated” to look more like an MB by swapping out the front grill and windshield with MB parts. This could be easily done since they were basically the same frame/body, with just a few mods for the new parts.

CJ2A

1 Like

Thank you Gino. I have no back ground just opportunity photo as I’m here at the EAA event. Here are some others I walked by…

More nice pics. Yeah, I have a thing for jeeps. I have built a bunch of them.

Interestingly enough, this is a 1950s Willys M38 (MC), which was a militarized CJ3A. These are not seen too often.

In the late '40s, the US military was running out of WWII-era Willys MBs due to battle damage, wearing out, age, etc. They contracted Willys to make new jeeps. These were converted (militarized) from the currently in production CJ3A at the time. They had the new grill w/larger headlights with a bar/guard protecting the headlights; taller, one piece windshield; external fuel filler; larger 7.00 x 16 tires; bolted-shut tail gate; second battery box (24 volt system) behind the hood on right side; slightly larger body (MC body); pioneer tools mounted on the right side; and a few other changes.

Here is an M38 I converted.
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/168426.aspx

This one looks to be a civilian CJ3A that has an MB windshield added to look like a military MB. It can be identified by the fuel filler, larger tires, tailgate, larger windshield blocks on the hood, etc. At least they added pioneer tools to make it look more like an MB.

1 Like

More from last days of 2022 Oshkosh EAA show

One more example from EAA Oshkosh show. The owner told me the radio set is Korean War era. Looking for comments and discussion

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like