P-38E-F-4A photo recon-1/72 Revell

I picked up an old 70s Revell kit of the P-38E-F-4A photo recon Lightning. It doesn’t look too bad, all the parts are on the sprues and it has the original decals, not sure how good they are. I’ll do some searching and try to find after market ones for an F-4A unit in WWII. I built the 2 Allison V-1710 engines, I need them to attach the props . They won’t be seen but I painted them anyways, just because. John

4 Likes

I glued the boom halves and installed the engine in one. John

3 Likes

The second engine is in place and the cockpit is painted and installed in the fuselage bottom. John

4 Likes

Not bad looking at all for such an ancient kit John. Following with great interest :smiley:
tim…

Thanks, I have the upper wing section, nose camera and lower wing panels added. I need to start adding weight in the nose area, maybe in forward engine nacelles and possibly put some in the drop tanks. John

4 Likes

I need to add horizontal stabilizers on outside of the tails then add weight and start closing up the nose and nacelles. John

7 Likes

Coming together very nicely :smiley:

Thanks, I added the canopy, glass to the nose camera door sides, put some lead sinkers in the nose area behind the camera by the cockpit bulkhead and added the bottom chin piece connecting the camera side doors. Once this sets up I can add more lead to the nose and close that up, putty the seams and move on to the stabs. John

4 Likes

I added more weight in the nose and engine nacelles then closed everything up and puttied all the seams. John

5 Likes

I have the seams sanded and the stabs added to the outside of the tails. I need to touch up a couple seams with a little more putty. John

4 Likes

Nice sanding job. Bet that took a bit of time no?

Yes, usually 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. This was 1 to 2 hours, very tedious plus I scratched the wind screen. I just started polishing out scratches with wet dry sand paper up to 12,000 grit. John

5 Likes

More sanding then added main landing gear wells and painted. Almost ready to paint. John

4 Likes

More weight in the drop tanks. John

4 Likes

I have all the pieces on now to allow me mask and paint. John

6 Likes

Just a few more areas to mask and I can start painting, white then medium blue then dark blue. John

3 Likes

Just finished the paint scheme. John

6 Likes

That’s looking real nice!

Steve

Thanks, I have the props on and now need to paint turbo super chargers then search for decals, kits decals are in sad shape. John

3 Likes

The wheels are on and it’s ready to decal. John

3 Likes