Pacific Sherman with mud camo

I follow my post about garish armor a Korean M46 with this Sherman M4A2 that is part of my effort to stop building plain US OD subjects.
This is a Dragon kit with some detailing. The ref pic of “knave” comes from Raymond Giuliani’s book - Sherman in the Pacific. I tried to give the idea of the environment, what has come to be known the green inferno.
Hope you enjoy it

24 Likes

You should have had this build in the “Shermania 2024” campaign!!

2 Likes

Oops, seems I just can’t be on the watchful side. Thanks for telling me, I didn’t see it (I know you may think this cannot be, but well it’s just me :face_with_head_bandage:🫨). I have other Shermie that can entitle for the Group…

3 Likes

Very nice!

Would love to read more about how you did the finish.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks Michael,
I haven’t a precise and repetitive method though my basic approach can be told like this:

• mud and soil effects are applied before painting if they are thick, like tracks, bogies and nearby areas. This is cos I like to dry brush on them later
  • this particular dried yellowish mud effect was done by streaking a Vallejo sand yellow with a brush moistened with a flow improver; I use this one:
  • the remaining dirt is oils like raw umber mixed with Liquin from Windsor&Newton and a fair amount of turpentine (which is toxic, so I wear a proper mask from 3M). I prefer turp to white spirit because I can get that cracking look that you see on the turret roof; just my personal opinion, but odorless mineral spirit is useless.
  • finishing is left to soft pastels and various pigments from vallejo, Adam Wilder’s and the like
  • transition between upper and lower parts of the model are normal airbrushing with earth colours from Tamiya or Gunze
    Enjoy
4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Some interesting methods there to put in my “tool box”!

Cheers!

1 Like

Nice build. I like the camo and the dio.

1 Like