Paint agitators (Ball Bearing)

I’ve read about steel, glass, and hematite ball agitators. But nothing about Brass ball bearings being used as agitators. I’ve been using them for 6 months now and found no corrosion in the acrylics or enamels I have. They are heavy so they work efficiently. Any reason why this has not caught on?

I think its sometimes just what people have to hand George. Ages ago I bought a jar of Stainless Steel ball bearings from AK and there are loads so I don’t really need to buy any more. I also have some plastic ones which I also use.

1 Like

I use Marine Grade Stainless Steel ball bearings, available in different sizes from eBay or Aliexpress. I had no idea brass bearings were available, looking for information I have found this:

Stainless steel, on the contrary, has a higher resistance to petroleum products[…]

Enamels may be affected on the long term, but I do not really know.

1 Like

I use small glass beads from the Floral Department of Michael’s Art Stores,

I have heard that some replace the ball with a small hex nut. It can still agitate but less likely to get stuck when trying to squeeze out the paint and have a disaster on your hands.

On the other hand, the nut has more contact surface thus more prone to adhere to the bottom

I would think something spherical would be the best choice.