Paint agitators (Ball Bearing)

I’ve read about steel, glass, and hematite ball agitators. But nothing about Brass ball bearings being used as agitators. I’ve been using them for 6 months now and found no corrosion in the acrylics or enamels I have. They are heavy so they work efficiently. Any reason why this has not caught on?

I think its sometimes just what people have to hand George. Ages ago I bought a jar of Stainless Steel ball bearings from AK and there are loads so I don’t really need to buy any more. I also have some plastic ones which I also use.

1 Like

I use Marine Grade Stainless Steel ball bearings, available in different sizes from eBay or Aliexpress. I had no idea brass bearings were available, looking for information I have found this:

Stainless steel, on the contrary, has a higher resistance to petroleum products[…]

Enamels may be affected on the long term, but I do not really know.

1 Like

I use small glass beads from the Floral Department of Michael’s Art Stores,

1 Like

I have heard that some replace the ball with a small hex nut. It can still agitate but less likely to get stuck when trying to squeeze out the paint and have a disaster on your hands.

On the other hand, the nut has more contact surface thus more prone to adhere to the bottom

I would think something spherical would be the best choice.

Time was I’d get packs of chrome-plated hex nuts from the local Halfords to use in paint - it was cheap and effective.

1 Like

I use the ones from Army painter (right), but AK Interactive sells a much bigger bottle (Left). Just toss one on paint bottles, two on the liquefied Putty or Mr. Finisher liquid primers. They work great.

1 Like

I bought a bag of Stainless-Steel BBs a long time ago. I’m sure they are cheaper, and pretty much the same, as the model-specific mixing balls. I add two to every bottle of paint and still have a bunch.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with having brass balls, I always say.

1 Like

Tank_1812Patron

Oct '22
I have heard that some replace the ball with a small hex nut. It can still agitate but less likely to get stuck when trying to squeeze out the paint and have a disaster on your hands.

This is what I use, mostly because 500 4mm Stainless hex nuts were a 1/5th the price of precision bearings!

1 Like

These work well too, and 250 will last a day or two:

I have a box of BB’s I purchased in the 70’s. They were cheap then and I still have 40% of the box left. If I use them up I will do like Gino and buy the same again. I’m a bit of a skin flint!!

1 Like

I do BB’s also. Plus I have tossed in some .177 or .22 pellets from my ammo supply.
casual plinking - pump - pump - pump - pump -pump - aim - shoot - Dang missed - rinse and repeat
:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve only used small glass ball bearings/beads so far.
Pros: totally inert
Cons: lacking in density compared to metal so a bit less effective in mixing.

Alternatively, how about a vibrator? Um…something that vibrates, like an overloaded washing machine on spin cycle. No balls/nuts required…just some restraints…apparently. A friend told me. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Nope. Nope. Too many jokes. Not touching that one.

2 Likes

Wuss …
:grin:

A girl in my senior high class (around 18 -19 years old) told me her friends (the other girls)
gave her a vibrator as birthday present. When she had unwrapped it they stood it on the
living room table and watched it vibrate around on the table while they were eating cake …

4 Likes