Painting Meng Leopard workable tracks

I assembled the black plastic workable track that came with Meng’s Leopard 1a5 kit. After i spray it with Tamiya light gun metal spray can paint, about 1/5 of all the track pin ends just broke off and fell out over the next few days, i was not attempting to work the track at all. it was just sitting there. it seems to me the paint must have reacted to the plastic and caused small cracks to develop, and the pins, being so thin, just broke when cracked. anyone else experienced this?

this was a nasty surprise to me because i previously sprayed Meng’s leopard 2A7 workable tracks with the same paint without any problems. although the leopard 2’s tracks were molded in the same light gray plastic as the rest of the kit, unlike Leopard 1A5’s black plastic track, which were not the same color as the rest of the kit, and presumably of a different type of plastic.

ihas anyone successfully spray painted Meng’s Leopard 1S5 workable tracks? if so which paint did you use?

Can’t comment on the paint, but I found those Leo1 tracks had a tendency to disintegrate too. I painted mine with Tamiya acrylic in the airbrush, so it shouldn’t have attacked the pins, but mine kept breaking about 1/3 of the way in from the end connectors. I think it’s a combo of them being too thin (& weak) and the sideways pressure exerted every time they move - it pulls them apart. Sorry if tis isn’t what you hoped to hear!

the problem is fewer ends actually broke off the track that I bent and flexed during installation to fit them around the idlers, drive sprocket and rollers.

the other track, which was just sitting there and haven’t been installed, lost more track pin ends.

so i don’t think the ends came off because they were too thin to handle being worked. they seem to fail just spontaneously. but since none of them failed before they were installed and painted. i think it has to be some part of the assembly and painting process that caused them to fail.

Leopard Workshop review. Go to the bottom of the review for a possible solution:

Bear in mind that Tamiya spray can paints are not acrylics, they’re lacquers, and the thinners can be too aggressive for some plastics.