Philippine Air Force F-5A (Kinetic 1/48)

Hey folks, I’d like to share my finished work on this Kinetic F-5A Freedom Fighter in 1/48. Markings are for the Philippine Air Force, circle 1970s at the Basa Air Field.

I honestly made a mess of the belly/under carriage of the kit, but since it will be in a display cabinet I think most people won’t mind. Pretty happy to finally paint one of my country’s important jet fighters.

Thanks for looking.

16 Likes

Napakaganda!

2 Likes

Maraming Salamat!!! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Beautiful work! I wonder if that was one of the F-5s used in Apocalypse Now for the napalm scene? :thinking:

2 Likes

From what I can remember - the Phil Air Force lent its Hueys and F-5 for the movie :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kunjuro, a beautiful Tiger. Love that squadron insignia. I hope you will show more of your models.

Fred

1 Like

Really nice, love the scheme!!

How did you find the Kinetic Freedom fighter? I am itching to do a Canadian one

1 Like

Thank you Fred. I plan to build a few more of these F-5 in the future. I need to track down a F-5B as well. I also have several built and to-do Phil Air Force planes that I hope to share.

3 Likes

Thanks Mead. The kinetic kit started off well, but it has quite a few issues with gaps - including a pretty big one on the right (or left) side of the fuselage once you glue the spine down. You will need a bit of filler and sanding for this kit - I honestly did not do a very good job on the bottom of the plane, but since this is going to be a display model for my cabinet then I didn’t mind a lot.

1 Like

Hi Nigel,
Thank you, I look forward to seeing more of your F-5s. 40 years ago, if I had succeeded in my USAF dream, my wish list was F-15, F-111, and F-5. To me, the F-5 is, aesthetically, the best looking jet fighter - period.

Which kit of the F-5B do you have in mind?

1 Like

the Kinetic kit quite likely, the Classic Airframes kit is much older and has its own set of problems. Will probably wait for a sale before getting one though :slight_smile: