Philippine Army GKN Simba (1/35, 3D Printed)

Hi folks! I thought I would post something different this time.

This is the GKN Simba Armored Personnel Carrier operated by the Philippine Army. Since it was first delivered in the 1990s, it has seen service with the PA over many local conflicts - including the Zamboanga Siege and the more recent Battle of Marawi - often with improvised add on armor made from furniture and wood tacked on. The vehicles would also be named after provinces in the country (Bohol, in this case.) and other famous landmarks.

It was designed by a British Company, GKN, but most of the fleet that would eventually be built (150 according to Wikipedia) would be assembled in my country - the Philippines. It was chosen among other competitors including American, British, French and German armored vehicles.

It was hoped by GKN that other countries might be interested in procuring the vehicle themselves, but due to the end of the Cold War and the Asian Financial Crisis - the Philippines would remain the sole operator of the vehicle.

Due to this fact, many Filipino modelers doubted that a 1/35 model of the vehicle would be build by a mainstream company. Fortunately, with the advent of 3D Printing - interesting but relatively rare vehicles such as the Simba have a chance to be represented in our hobby. In particular, I was happy to build and paint this vehicle as I rode in one back when I was an ROTC cadet in College.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

17 Likes

Very nice. Is this your own 3D print or someone else’s?

1 Like

Thanks Ryan! This model was made by Odyssey 3D Prints - I know the owner is Filipino but he’s either based in the US or UK - which leads to some delay in products being sold where I live. Am surprised at the detail in the kit - definitely not up to par with modern kits, but pretty similar to Tamiya in the 80s-90s.

1 Like

Fantastic job!

1 Like

Thanks Dan :slight_smile:

Very unique and interesting subject. Nice build of a vehicle I have not seen in scale yet.

1 Like

Thanks kosprueone, this is much appreciated :smiley:

1 Like

That looks like a top quality 3d print- plenty of nice detail in it. Great camo scheme you have done on it too.

1 Like

Thank you Karl! An interesting tidbit about this four-tone camo used by the PH army is that they aren’t standardized - the shade may vary a bit, and the camo pattern depends upon the interpretation of the unit that the vehicle is assigned to - this makes for a lot of possible versions of the camo to model :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a really attractive little APC, and a well-done model.

Thanks Lee! I’m happy that a model of her actually exists now - my country has also a few more upgraded M113s that haven’t been possible to model unless you knew how to make a cast out of resin or scratch built it entirely.

1 Like

I like it a lot. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks TigerTwo! I really appreciate it :smiley:

1 Like