Placards

Dose anyone make them to place next to your finished models describing what the vehicle is?
I mean self made on the computer. Thanks.

Yes, here is a few I made for club projects with PowerPoint. Black background and white text.

Print on heavy glossy paper (kinkos) glued to sheet styrene, edged with black sharpie.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I always used to position a small clear plastic stand within which I could insert details of the model, and sometimes a pic of the real thing in order to show what I was modelling, or had given me the inspiration; however, it actually meant cluttering the display tables and took up space, so I binned the idea. I do, however, add a small brass nameplate - integral to the base - giving details of the model, or rather, what it’s meant to be eg:

On occasion, if I feel more explanation is required I do add the aforementioned plastic card holder as shown here (centre rear):

Affligem 2022 (3)

By incorporating the brass nameplates all my models have a commonality of display and look, I like to think, quite neat as well as being informative; not however, that I leave it to the visiting modelling public to just read, I will always interact and ask if they have any questions. That way, the ice is broken (some modellers being quite reticent) and normally a discussion follows, which is why I go to shows in the first place(!)

I have an arrangement with my local engravers and they only really charge me a nominal fee for my nameplates (ÂŁ5 in UK).

3 Likes

Yes, I always make them for my models. The information on these will be the kit(s) manufacture(s), subject, scale, and what was used to make and paint it. Sometimes an anecdotal summary if something funny happened like dropping it then having to repair or repaint the model.

I always read other model builder’s info cards as well. I’d like to see all models on display to have these to read.

1 Like

Whenever I can get to the elusive “finished-line”… ahem.:sweat_smile: I’ll usually treat the base to a nameplate with a catchy phrase (one or two lines max), sometimes accompanied by a small piece of art.

Personally, if I go through the effort to create groundwork and a base for display, it would feel incomplete without some sort of nameplate.

—mike

3 Likes

You can certainly use your computer to print name plates. (I recommend using photo grade print paper.)

However beyond that I would suggest going to a trophy shop and having brass plates engraved to use as nameplates. Also they now have annodized aluminum plates in a variety of colors. When engraved you get silver lettering on a colored background.