Point Du Hoc, Reedees Miniatures

Beautiful flesh tones as usual Ski. Can’t wait to see them finished.

1 Like

Looking swell! Will you paint the face of the pulling guy a more red, since he is applying a lot of force?

1 Like

I’m not sure you’d actually see that Erwin, but a good point. I’ve been feathering in details the past few days, a little at a time. Imo, they always look weak until I get them matched to the figure, then more details get added.

Slowly but surely they are progressing, thanks, MH!

1 Like

I did this on a 1:35 scale fig ( carrying a lot of luggage while wearing a fur coat) and it does show. Since these are a lot bigger, I think you will see it…

1 Like

Roger that, I think I have added a more prominent shade of red to the lad’s face. When I post you’ll let me know what’cha think :wink:

It’s not a lot, btw, but it is visible.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. If I have to retake the picture again, I must remove the casing and locomotive from the diorama… This picture was taken when I finished the dio a few years back…
Don’t forget white knuckles either…

3 Likes

Feathering in the Details

Once the basic facial work has been done and the oils set up for a day or two, I go back over each face and add in more defined highlights and shadows. As you can see from the three faces, they are each in a different phase of this process. Number three just might get another oven cleaner bath, he’s looking pretty shabby, again, what a bummer.

Using a very minute amount of paint I apply in the desired areas and then feather it in using a damp brush. The feathering brush is barely damp at all. We just need the oils to feather into the surrounding areas for a smooth transition. If too much paint is added the work area may become out of cinque with the rest of the face and then it’s a fight to bring it back in without total distortion of the desired tones.

No names for these guys yet, but I’m working on it. This face above has a bit more red on the cheeks than is necessary and will be toned down slightly. There’s still quite a bit to do to just this face alone, but much of the fine tuning will be done in a few days.

More to follow soon and thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

7 Likes

Paleness of the guy clinging on for his life is a good thing, be to me now he looks more like a corpse… :smirk:

1 Like

He’s getting another bath, for sure!

2 Likes

A Little More Detail

Adding a few more minute details it appears the number two figure is pretty close. I added the helmet and took care of the leather work and buckles/clips. I also added in the 5 o’clock shadows. Number one will be touched up a little more before his helmet is attached, then off to work Number three.

More to follow soon and thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

P.S. We now have names for these guys; #1 is Walt, #2 is Bruce, and #3 is Luke.

7 Likes

O hmy ,you even give them individual teeth…

1 Like

I can only imagine how difficult it was for Steve to sculpt those in.

1 Like

Finishing Faces, Working upper Torsos

The faces for this crew are now complete minus a few touch-ups here and there. Luke, the terrified fellow, was not wanting to cooperate with my brush. After I convinced him, that Bruce wasn’t going to let him go, he began to be more manageable.

Sometimes faces just don’t want to work, so I’m finding that working them over several days, feathering, and filtering necessary tones works best. Poor Luke, he’s the cleanest kid on the block with four oven cleaner baths to his credit, HA! I have also added the 2nd Ranger Battalion emblem on the back of the helmets, not seen in these photos. The helmet tones will be adjusted more towards the drab range, btw.

Reference photos show a myriad of tan and olive drab shades for WWII US GI uniforms, so I won’t be too worried about the shade I’ve chosen. The button and rivet counters can now relax, it has been decided. I have matched the oils to an almost exact tone by taking a dab of oil and swiping it onto the photo posted on my easel. It may not appear so close now, but it will later when the oils dry.

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/normandy/commemorations/2019/photos/pointe-du-hoc More photos can be found on the net referencing the D-Day Pont Du Hoc 75th Anniversary.

I decided to start with Capt. Walt and get some oils on the canvas, so to speak, while Sgt. Luke was drying for a bit. I really do like how Steve works these wrinkles and folds, very crisp and clean, much easier to paint. I will be working my way down the figure as I usually do.

I will address all three upper torsos before I move onto the next phase while the palette still has a good oil mix. Remixing another batch days from now may not come out within the same tonal range, and that is what I am trying to avoid here, offset tones.

Progress is a bit slow, but steady, so more to follow very soon. Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

7 Likes

Two words Ski – brilliant, and the one that often precedes it :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Always a pleasure BroSki !!!
I don’t really think you have to sweat some of the " should I add this " or " should I delete that " facial tones and hues . You’ve used your gut and applied your God given talents to produce facial palettes that most would never even come close to , meself included .
Excellent work man , education in painting bar none , thanks !!!

Although I did notice the facial similarities between climbing Point Du Hoc and dropping a morning deuce after a long night of beer and chili …

5 Likes

More amazing work Ski. You certainly know what you’re doing, you don’t need any input from us. Except , perhaps, high praise. Excellent!

2 Likes

@Dioramartin You mean bloody? :wink:

@PolishBrigade12 You once again out performed yourself. :+1:

3 Likes

Outstanding work Ski- as usual!

3 Likes

Lol, I would have to agree, Luke looks like he’s relieving himself as he ascends the cliff, HA! Tanks, Glenn :wink:

Flocking, is the word you are looking for, I do believe, HA! Tanks, Tim!

2 Likes

Tanks, Matt. If my wife can spot a boof, yall can too. You do remember, after all, she paints too, right, Tim? Yall don’t remember her from the skype meeting, she had her gi joes, and Tim couldn’t stop laughing? lol.

Erwin, you are too kind, tanks, Buddy!

Tanks, MH, I appreciate the kind words.

4 Likes