Polish Sherman IIA advice

Hello everyone, I’ve recently seen an interesting photo of a polish M4A1 76(W) and would like to replicate it. However there is one small snag in my plan- the kit. I’m not sure which is the best to represent a polish Sherman. The two best options are the Asuka M4A1 76 W, which I don’t think includes polish decals and is quite pricey to get hold of, or the cyber hobby M4A1 76. The original dragon boxing of this had a polish scheme but I can’t find any info on the decals of the cyber hobby kit. To thicken the plot I also have a tamiya M1 super sherman in the stash which I could backdate, although the tank I’m replicating has the round split loaders hatch.
Any kit recommendations would be most welcome, as would info on backdating the tamiya kit. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello! Which painting are you specifically asking?

I did built all the M4A1 76 mm you are asking about (Dragon -unfinished-, Asuka and Tamiya) and even a Polish IIa fifteen years ago converting an old Italeri Sherman. I will go for an Asuka again (and again and again) and not consider the Dragon/Cyber hobby offer (exagerated casting on the hull, several poor fit, average representation of the VVSS boggies…).

But considering the fact you have a fairly good late M4A1 with the Tamiya M1 SuperSherman, why not just buying the turret from Asuka online shop ? Go to https://tasca-shop.ocnk.net/ and look for the 76 mm turret elements of kit 35019. You may also consider resin replacement from Tiger Model or Formations Model ? Also Wydawnictwo Militarai monography n°192 dedicated to polish Sherman is also a great source with plenty of wartime pictures.
And Toro decals or Hussar Prod. used to offer decals for Polish IIa.
Hope this help.

1 Like

It’s this one, I found the picture on sherman minutia. According to the caption it is a polish IIA that was KO in the Netherlands. I liked it because of all the modifications such as the panther tracks on the turret

1 Like

I’d go with Tasca/Asuka, but if you’re up to a bit of fettling then the DML Op Cobra kit can be made to work. The Tamiya M1 has too many issues for me…

I asked my friends … It is not known which regiment of the 1st Armored Division this is the vehicle, it probably had the standard 1DPanc markings. You can build it from the m4a1 (76) Asuka model, T49 tracks, buy ammo-boxes for the back of the hull and Sherman and Panthera tracks. Model.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

24th Polish Lancers? Looks like the building behind is near Breda, Netherlands

2 Likes

I don’t think those are T49 tracks. It looks more like the exposed track pins left after fire has burned the rubber blocks off. Most of the M4A1 76mm tanks were equipped with T48 rubber chevron tracks from the factory.
Regards,Bob

Yep - those are burnt rubber tracks. You can find some here: Panda Plastics

2 Likes

Hi,

Caption on p.39 in Wydawnictwo n°192 says “A burned Polish MkIIA of the HQ Squadron, 10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade, Holland, end 1944”

2 Likes

I was just about to recommend them, I have a set of their T-51 tracks on an M10 Wolverine build. :+1: