Post-war Olive Drab ... Korean War

Was the Olive Drab paint applied to US vehicles in Korea the same shade as that used during WW2?

Thanks,

Paul

In theory, yes, but the post World War Two paint was semigloss, which “reads” darker than flat paints.

The vast majority of the vehicles used in Korea were in the WWII OD. Late in the war some of the Marine M46s showed up in Marine Green.

1 Like

What about Vietnam? Same color or no?

It was a darker shade of OD used in Vietnam. That was the last shade used before the MERDC schemes became standard.

2 Likes

The tanks refurbished in the Tokyo depot got the shiny paint. Most tanks in the field don’t shine because of the ever-present dust.

Many thanks for these informative responses.
I can now make some progress with my 1/72-scale Pershing.

Paul

1 Like

An old topic I know. But I noticed that my Tamiya Sherman Korean War tank kit says that TS-28 was the shade used in Korea, yet color photographs I have seen of tanks in Korean showed a darker green color. Of course they could have been Marine tanks, or colorized photos. Anyone can tell me what is correct? I know kit directions can be wrong.

there was actually two shades used in RVN. One was a touch lighter in color with some sort of a silver flake in it. I remember this when sanding and painting chipped paint and rust spots for a CMMI. Even more interesting was that not all paint faded the same. Howitzers in many instances faded more than others even though they sat in the same place. Trucks were pretty consistent as well as most other things tanks seemed to fade the most
gary

Bob Dillon once told me that the majority of Marine M26 tanks came out of Army stocks kept in Europe. I have seen photos (from Bob) that showed Marine tanks in both colors side by side. I think nearly all M46 tanks came with the Army O.D. green. Shermans might also be a mixed bag.
gary

Good example here…

Same tanks, differend shades of OD green.

1 Like

More like Tamiya Ts-5 then. Thanks.

Yep! That works. I use Vallejo Olive Drab spray paint for my WW2 vehicles and Tamiya TS-5 for everything post WW2.

3bd18e365fbb8acd38113d259e0774bcc96bc9d5_2_631x500

Tamiya M8 “Scott” HMC painted in Vallejo Spray paint.

e1e53d8c0edfab157ef731b019f89a4285625928_2_666x500

Tamiya M60A3 TTS in TS-5 Olive Drab.

1 Like