Primer+Paint Scratching off if You Look at it Funny

This is the second time I’ve had an issue of paint not properly adhering to a model. I was using a 1-1 ratio of Mr. Surfacer 1500 to Mr. Levelling Thinner, and Tamiya Metal Primer on PE parts. The only thing I can think of being the location I paint in; my garage. It gets fairly cold in the evenings when I paint (in the vicinity of 5 degrees C and -2 C.) It is also extremely dusty, though there’s not much I can do about it, and I don’t really see how it could get kicked all the way up to my desk.

Do I just have to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer or just move all my airbrushing stuff indoors? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That’s definitely way too cold to be painting in. Optimally, you want to be in 21 C and 50% humidity. Anything below 10 C is too cold to airbrush and expect any decent paint adhesion.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I figured that’s what it was, but hoped it wasn’t. Oh well, time to think of a solution. Thanks again.

Are you cleaning the parts to remove the mold release agent before priming ?

1 Like

I just built an airbrush booth out of a cardboard box, duct tape, a small window fan, and a length of dryer vent hose so I could move out of the garage for the winter.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I have seen one made from old computer parts and a rectangular section of air-conditioning vent. The guy attached the side cover of the PC to the open end of the vent section. He’d cut out holes and used the PC’s twin fans turned around to suck air out through those. The motherboard and power unit of the old PC was screwed to the outside of the vent section to supply power to the fans and also to the lights he installed. The lights were also from the PC. Only thing he bought was the filter pad and length of pipe to vent the paint out through the window.

4 Likes