Pyro Fijian Outrigger

And now for something a little different…
“Adventure in the South Pacific!”
I say “different” because it features a Pyro kit that was first issued in 1958. The Fijian Outrigger in 1/35th scale. Got a First Place in the Diorama Category at our club Contest March 9. The water base is painted heavy paper over styrofoam, with a coating of Lexel clear sealant and Woodland Scenics Foam Putty. The original kit sail was vacuformed plastic that I replaced with layered tissue sail with ropes and wire hooks added. I replace the decking with thin real wood venier. The sailfish was sculpted from Apoxy Sculpt. The figures are from MiniArt.

23 Likes

Just so cool.

3 Likes

I agree it is cool. Congrats on the award. :+1:

2 Likes

Wow. Very nicely done.
If you hadn’t posted that I’d have forgotten that company completely. Now I remember doing several 1:1 poistol replicas by them over fifty (!) years ago.

2 Likes

Love this, especially the sailfish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WOW, Gary, this is an absolutely stunning achievement! I have that very kit in my stash and have been turning over ideas of what to do with it… and you have completely nailed it with this compelling diorama composition, beautifully executed water, and generally pleasing presentation. Among other things I was puzzling how to best use the simian-looking figures Pyro had provided with the kit, and your brilliantly adapted MiniArt crew are a perfect solution. They and everything else about your magnificent build are just right. Well done, sir! :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!!! Every now and then I like to take a really old kit and have some fun with it. Had this kit in the stash quite awhile waiting till i thought I could do something really fun with it but was really afraid to try the water effects and then I saw a YouTube video from “High Eye Workshop” who used this technique and I knew I had to try it. It was also a fun break from building airplanes and tanks…LOL Again, thanks for all the compliments.

1 Like

Different and very well done.

1 Like

The water is amazing. It scary but fun trying a new technique, you obviously mastered it fast! The whole thing is really excellent

And yes, congrats on the well deserved award.

2 Likes

Wow…nostalgia! I had that same kit way back in early '60’s. :smiley:
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

Well if that isn’t one interesting and engaging piece! Those colors are just awesome from the swells to the fish and the boat itself with that beautiful sail. A stunner- totally deserving of the award!

2 Likes

Thanks All, The old Pyro kit, even at 60 years old was a great kit. All the parts fit perfectly, however I did replace the mast and the support after doing some research on outriggers of the period. I also reskinned the deck and platform with thin wood veneer for better texture. I used the kit plastic vacuform sail as a master to laminate double layers of tissue paper to make the sail more transparent aand used coat hanger wire to replace the outer rods of the sail. And best of all…no rivets! LOL

2 Likes