Question about attachement of track links, spare wheels and so on (M60)

Good morning

Since my latest project is a M60A3 during a REFORGER exercise (and therefore loaded with a lot of stuff) I was running into a few “attachment”-questions:

How are/were spare wheels, spare track links and such attached to the stowage basket or the handles of the tanks ? There are many pics around, but most of the time, all these items seem to be fixed by a miraculous “magnetical power” or they are simply hooked to the handles in a way that can’t be realistic … . I’ve seen pics of spare wheels with a guiding tooth of a track link screwed to it on the outer side; but what would be the counterpart ? Are there standarized “mounting kits” or are all these things fixed with whatever was at hand ?

Thanks in advance !

Roger

1 Like

Here’s what it looks like on a Abrams. A guide tooth is used with the spare wheel and the track links :

I guess something similar could be done for the M60… :roll_eyes:

H.P.

5 Likes

Like stated before tankers used the guide horn to bolt the spare wheel to either the rear bustle rack or the side grab handle.

5 Likes

Another example

H.P.

3 Likes

Here are pics of my M60A3 (and others) back in the day. Equipment was strapped, metal banded, or bolted on to parts like the infantry rails on the turret.

7 Likes

M60 question- where does the engine exhaust vent? The rear doors on models are always molded solid, but on the vehicles where does the exhaust exit the hull?

1 Like

Rear of tank.

2 Likes

Here you can see the exhaust stake assembly (part “A”)

m60stack186

Without the stake

H.P.

2 Likes

The rear grills exhaust the hot air as well as engine exhaust .

2 Likes

The rear grills opened into the engine compartment. The exaust from the engine was located near the upper, outer edges of the grill doors. Because of that those areas of the grill doors were usually a soot black color.

4 Likes

Great shots, thank you! I had seen some models where the doors were really sooted up almost evenly. Looks like it just needs to be the upper edges and vertical seam.

1 Like

The road wheels and spare track usually use what US tankers call a center guide not a guide horn. The bottom piece hooks nicely on the rails the bolt goes through the wheel and the guide part is on the outside. It works very well. The exhaust gases pass through the rear grill doors along with the exhausted cooling air. The air is pulled in through the top side grill doors under the engine and up through the top fan towers and out the back.

1 Like

Here you can see the fan towers.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for all the information. Very helpful, the “problem” with the spare wheels and track links seems to be resolved … . My (hopefully) last question: the 40mm ammo boxes: how where/are they attached ? And, BTW, the spare wheel on this Abrams seems to be simply bolted directly to the turret, right ?

1 Like

Yes, the above Abrams spare road wheel is bolted directly to the rear of the turret. The 40mm can is as well (from inside the can).

3 Likes

Thanks. How would this be done on a later M1 with a turret basket ? As far as I know there are no hooks or such on these ammo cans ?!

1 Like

When seen on the side rails or on the rear turret bustle rails, they are bolted to the rails with a plate and a couple bolts that go through the can. The rails are sandwiched between the can and the plate, like below.

4 Likes

But this photo is of a plain M1 with no rear bustle rack. There must be some type of hook involved to attach them to strap rings?

On an M1, the bolts for the rear turret tie-down loops could be removed and the boxes bolted directly to the turret.

3 Likes

Didn’t know that.