Question about M1 abrams tank crew picture

I came across this picture searching the internet for pictures of us tank crew. Is there a M4 carbine on the side of the protection shield?

bild

Looks like it, yes.

1 Like

There are two clips for the weapon that can be mounted to suit nearly any application.

Also Hook and Loop kits to add other weapon systems as per your whims:

These days, if there’s a sensible spot to mount a weapon on your model, you can put one there. Just make sure you make an attempt at some sort of mount, even if it’s just two thin strips of black tape to replicate the Hook and Loop.

And yes, before anyone else asks, that is indeed my famous Mary Jane cammo on my weapon.

5 Likes

Recognize that CAA stock saddle anywhere… :rofl:

2 Likes

Great for storing those CR123’s. How about that ergonomic pistol grip? And lest anyone think I used a broomstick (bad idea) I only had that on the because GripPod sent me one (two actually, so I could color co-ordinate with my wardrobe :grinning: ) and I liked to use the bipod feature when needed.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. Lookig at your setup:

Standard Waffle stock with CAA saddle
Ergo pistol grip
Grip-Pod
OG surefire M962 Weapons Light
PEQ-2A IR laser
Aimpoint CompM2 (M68CCO), most likely wityh a Kill-Flash.

Yeah… I love old-school M4s. I have a box full of all those parts, and then some. I built a “vanilla” M4 clone for my brother and a SOPMOD Block II for myself, along with a Mk-18 Mod 0.

1 Like

That’s me. OG. :slight_smile:
I put the G in Jihad.

3 Likes

He’d have a hard time getting out of that set up in a hurry if he had to.

I like the cut of your jib. :+1:

1 Like

Funny. I just started watching the Walking Dead again after at least a four or five year hiatus (I’ve run out of Norwegian and Finnish crime series/movies on Netflix) when they jumped the shark, but I though ah what the hell - it’s mindless entertainment while I reload ammo. At least I don’t have to read subtitles.
Anyway, Eugene just said that on an episode this morning. I don’t think I’ve heard that term in decades, and now twice in one day.

1 Like

God, when I was in they didn’t even have the M4. It was M16A1 and M16A2, or else M1911A1 or M9. Oh well, at least I don’t go back as far as say the M14, M1 Garand, or M1903.
Ken.

3 Likes

We had the M3 grease gun on our M60A3s and never got to fire them…

5 Likes

I went through basic (1992) and qualified with an M16A1; when I was assigned to my first duty station (1993-95), I was issued an M16A2. When I got out of active duty and went into the Reserves (1995-2007), I was re-issued an XM16E1, then an M16A2 again. When I deployed to Iraq (2003) I was initially issued an M4 then an M249 SAW then put me behind a Mk-19.

2 Likes

I got to fire one once, a long time ago. I have a dummy of one now.
Ken

2 Likes

i remember firing a Grease Gun at a range. It was fun. I fired an original WW2 M3 with the hand crank on the side.

2 Likes

Standard issue for tankers all the way into the 90s.

5 Likes

I fired one in basic and that was it.
Never understood why we never fired them when we qualified with out .45s?

2 Likes

The pistol is a personal issue weapon, so you have to qualify with it, same as the rifle for infantry. The Grease gun was a crew served weapon, so you only had to “familiarize” with it, that is shoot it just to show that you know how to pull the trigger.
Ken

2 Likes

We all know thats a very dumb policy.

2 Likes

How is a M3 Grease Gun crew served? Crew served weapons means just that, they need a crew to service and operate the weapon. Mortars, machine guns, artillery pieces, many man portable shoulder fired anti tank weapons such as the bazooka or recoilless rifle… While the M3 SMG was issued to tankers, it was also issued to troops who previously carried Thompson SMGs such as a squad leader or MP. One weapon, one man with all it needs and a basic load of ammo. All of the crew served types that I mentioned need more than one soldier for the basic complete weapon system and a basic load of ammo. As a TOW gunner in a TOW squad, I was issued a .45, (along with being responsible for the squad M60 machine gun) but never qualified on that pistol. Later I was a driver and swapped the .45 & M60 for a M16/M203. We only fam fired the pistols one time in my years with TOW.

2 Likes