Question about M48, M60A1, M60A3 cold war adversaries

Hello All,
I have a1/35 Tamiya M 48A3, 2 M 60A1s and an Esci M60A3 TTS and would like to know which Soviet tanks would have been likely to face them had there been any hostilities or in this case in 1/35th scale.
I would like to acquire some kits of the Soviet tank kits and would appreciate any suggestions on available kits. They don’t have to be “dead on” accurate. I want something that is an easy build and reasonably priced. One I am interested in is the Tamiya T-72. So other kits that are comparable in accuracy, fit and price would be good.
Thanks & God Bless You All,
Joe <>< :+1: :+1:

1 Like

The M-48 would of faced off against the T-34/85, T-55, and T-62; the M-48 did face off against these vehicles during the Yom Kippur war.

The M-60 and all it’s variants would of faced the T-62, T-64,T-72 and T-80. Then in the case of reserve units it would of faced the T-55 as well.

3 Likes

Hi Gregory,
Thank you. I was surprised by the T-34/85 for the M 48 and the T-80 for the M 60 series. I appreciate your help.
God Bless You,

2 Likes

In regards to kits you could go with Tamiya for the T55 & 72 and Trumpeter for all the rest , there really not being many options as far as kit manufacturer for most of them. Takom and Miniart also kit various T54/55 versions and Trumpeter kits quite a few T72 variants. There’s also the outdated kits from DML of T72 & 80 variants.

Hi Sean,
Thanks for your response and information. I do have the Tamiya T-55 and hope to get the T-72. I’m hoping to maybe get a T-62 or T-64.
God Bless You,

Keep in mind which variant, year wise, would match up.

Hi TopSmith,
I’m not too concerned about a specific year. I want to do a general period of time. More like a period of several years or a decade when both types were in service.
Thanks & God Bless You,

1 Like

@Joe is this going to be a diorama build or a comparison build, maybe like them up on two separate displays across from each other? I’ve always wanted to try the latter option with Russian and nato equipment. Either way good luck!

Hi Greg.
Neither actually. Just want to do something representative from both countries for time periods for the kits. That is an M 48 and T-55. Or an M 60A1 and T-62 or T-64, M 60A3 and T-72.
God Bless You,

1 Like

I would put them next to each other on a base if you want one of each for each time period.

Also, there is no space in US tank nomenclature. It is M48, M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, etc., etc…

1 Like

That’s true, there is no space in the designation. But sometimes people, (even me occasionally) add a dash so it reads M-60A1, for example. The correct form is M60A1.
Ken

they faced T34-85’s more than once up near the DMZ in Vietnam. Also the PT76 and probably some others
gary

1 Like

The M48A3 and the M60A1 were in service at the same time, as the M48A1 tanks were upgraded to M48A3 (with diesel engines and coincidence rangefinders) after the M60 series entered service. Either could be paired off with a T-55A or T-62, or possibly a T-64. As mentioned, Soviet client states still had the T-34-85 and T-54 in the 1960’s and 70’s. The M60A3 appeared in the late 1970’s, around the same time as the original T-80. Tamiya’s T-55 is nice, but their T-62 isn’t very accurate. Zvezda’s is much better, but is hard to get now, due to the international situation. Tamiya’s T-72 depicts an export version built for the East German army in the 1970’s.

1 Like

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your responses.
HeavyArty,
That military nomenclature causes problems for me. I never understood how in WW II You had an M3 light tank, an M3 medium tank and an M3 halftrack :thinking: :confused:.
Thanks & God Bless You All,

3 Likes

Thanks for the question! I am also interested in the ratio of tanks, but on the other side of the barricade.

You are welcome.
God Bless You,

You forgot the M3 Submachine Gun.
Ken

Hi Ken,
Wasn’t aware of that one but an excellent example. Thanks for sharing.
God Bless You,

What I meant was an M60A1 would not match up with a T-72B3. Just check to see which variant of the Russian tank was being made for the time period each of the US tanks were in use.

Hi Joe,
Too bad that you bought Tamiya M48A3 and M60A1s. Takom’s upcoming M48A3 looks much better, and its M60A1s are great, too. I think they’re reasonably priced for what they offer.

Kind regards,
James <><