Questions about the F-16 A and F-16 C

I haven’t built a F-16 since I was a small child. I am not really very familiar with this particular plane.
So with this in mind, can you guys please tell me what the difference is between the A and C models?
Is it a big difference?
Because I have the A model but I can’t seem to find any detailed sets for the A, just the C model!
Thank you

1 Like

The C has an improved radar (AN/APG-68) and much better avionics.
Although originally they had the same engine as the A (PW F-100-PW-200), later they were re-engined with the PW-100-PW-200E.

1 Like

Sir,
Thank you for your response. So then, to my understanding if I used the detailed sets for the C on my A it should be fine, unless they are obviously more noticeable? Is this correct? I’m not sure if I made myself clear on the A model that I have, I don’t remember. I have the Revel F-16A kit# 4410 1981 issue which has the Red, White and Blue paint scheme I know its an OLD kit,this is why I’m asking these questions.
Thank you

Not really, as the vertical stabilizer of the C sits on an enlarged base. This is, however, pretty much the only external difference.

Call me stupid…So the vertical stabilizer of the C is the major part, everything else is the same as the A. Correct?
sorry and thanks again.
Chris

Check out this site:
https://www.f-16.net/
It should answer all your questions.

Correct. That’s the only major external difference.

Areas that will be different visually between an early A and late C: the base of the vertical stabilizer, large on the C, smaller on the A; the horizontal stabilizers, small on early A, larger on late A and C; intake, larger on the type with the GE engine; afterburner petals different between GE & P&W engines.
Other items that may be different: “beer can” antenna on wing leading edge, introduced in later upgrades; “bird slicer” antennas in front of canopy, different configurations depending upon version of F-16; bulges on sides of vertical stabilizer base on F-16A ADF version.HUD size & shape has changed over the years with new production blocks and variant updates, original tinted and non tinted canopies for use with night vision goggles.

As said above, F-16.net is a great site for info and photos. The F-16 has evolved quite a bit from its early look and capabilities over the past 45 years.

1 Like

Sir,
like I said in my earlier posting, this kit is the old kit from 1981 so with that in mind here are the items that I was going to purchase to make this ok kit into a better kit.

1. Aires-air7182 F-16A Fighting Falcon Radome 1/72nd scale
  2. Aires-air7196 F-16CG/CJ Falcon Cockpit set 1/72nd scale
  3. Aires-air7155 F-16A/B Fighting Falcon Exhaust nozzles 1/72nd scale
  4. Aires-air7131 F-16 Fighting Falcon wheel bay 1/72nd scale
  5. Aires-QB72196 F-16 Block 5-10 Floating elevator 1/72 scale
  6. Edward-Army cast F-16 drop tank stencils 1/72nd scale
  7. Edward-eduss151 Edward zoom PE F-16A or F-16B Falcon (Italeri)
  8. Edward Brassin-edu672032 AIM-7m sparrow missile set 1/72nd scale

This is just an idea I think would make this old kit be a better one.
Now I forgot to say on my original posting was that this particular kit was found at a local yard sale. It still has the original shrink wrap on it.
Hopefully with what I have shown you, you maybe able to give me some insight on what I’m up against or even this might just be a fun super detailed project. The one thing I wasn’t able to find was the avionics. Do you know who makes them in 1/72nd scale and also for the A/C model?
Thank you.

I’ll have to look up that kit to confirm, but… being a 1981 vintage kit, it is likely a Block 1, Block 5, or Block 10 airframe with the smaller stabilators. And some of those upgrades that you have listed above, such as the CG/CJ cockpit, would not be appropriate. The AIM-7s are out because aside from during the initial flight test program, no A’s carried Sparrows until the ADF variant came out in the late 80’s, and those had a different tail, bird slicer antennas, top and bottom, and a side mounted floodlight for night ID purposes.
I would suggest looking for a resin seat with harness, because early 80’s seats were usually pretty basic from most companies, and at best only had a decal harness, if that.

Here is a build review of the kit. It is a rebox of a preproduction F-16, so a production radome probably will not fit.

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/f16/f16-proto.htm

I understand about what you have been saying.
I did get rid of the AIM-7 sparrows and the CG/CJ cocpit.
So to my understand a C cockpit is not going to be ok with this A model?
Because I just found a cockpit set by AIRES it is the air7130 F-16C Fighting Falcon cockpit set 1/72nd scale for the Hasegawa kit.
I was just wondering if this set will fit in the Revel kit.
Also I did have a question for you about my list # 1-6-7-8, will these be appropriate for my F-16A model?
I also want to thank you very much for all your advice in helping me with this kit. I normally do A-10 hogs, armor and figures mainly.

You’re quite welcome.
As far as items go, 1, the radome, may or may not fit, depending upon the kit contours- you may have to do some surgery.
6 & 7 should be fine, but 8, no need for the Sparrows.

You may want to look for these wheels while you’re at it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/res-kit-rs72-0023-general-dynamics-f-16-a-fighting-falcon-wheels-set–1007193

Here is the list on Scalemates of detail and conversion parts made for 1/72 F-16s. Some are old and out of production, but ya never know what you can find secondhand.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=General+Dynamics+F-16+Fighting+Falcon&fkSCALENORMALISED%5B%5D=%221:00072%22&fkSECTION%5B%5D=Kits&fkTYPENAME%5B%5D=%22Detail%20and%20Conversion%20sets%22

Just remember that you want stuff for the A, Block 10 or earlier.

Thank you sir.
If I have any more questions I’ll post you a reply.