Questions for the spitfire experts

The reason for the guns being ‘Taped’ over in the kit is due to the Mk.VIII being fitted with the universal wing in which it could be fitted as a Type A, Type B or 4 x 20mm so you need to work out the armament configuration of the Spit you are modelling.
Looking at the photo it looks to be armed with 1 x 20mm and 2 x .303 in each wing which equates to a Type B fit.

Not a Spit expert by a long shot but basic info so stand to be corrected if wrong.

1 Like

Thanks! Appreciate it. The one I am building is the one with a 20mm cannon and 2 .303 in each wing

1 Like

The wings evolved during the war as armament needs changed. From the Battle Britain it became painfully obvious that even 8 .303’s weren’t cutting it, so the decision was made to stick a pair of cannon in them.

So the main types of wartime wing were:
A - 8 .303 mgs. Fitted to MK1’s, II and some early V’s
B - 2 drum fed 20mm and 4 .303 mgs. MkVb’s and Seafire I’s.
C - the universal wing. Could be fitted with any combination of belt fed 20mm and .303’s as Luciano says above. Fitted to MkVC, VIII, vast majority of IX’s and Seafire III’s.
E - fitted with 2 belt fed 20mm outboard and 2 Browning .50’s inboard next the cannon. Fitted on late version IX’s and XIV’s. I think most Griffin engined versions too, but I’m a long way from my references!

There was also a Post-War wing on the Mk22, 24 and Seafires with just 4 cannon, but I’m not sure what that particular version was called. I do know it was a complete redesign using more up to date aerodynamics and had lost the characteristic curve of the classic Spitfire wing.

We’re quite lucky that with Airfix, ICM, Super Hobby and a few others, practically every version of Spitfire has been kitted in 1/48.

1 Like

Wasn’t this arrangement on the Spitfire Mk.IIb as well?
Spitfire Mk Ib had 2 drum fed 20mm canons, no Brownings

No official designation was ever given to this wing type, I think they referred to it as the ‘New Wing’. It was still generally elliptical in shape, cut off wing tips and larger ailerons.
Not a Spitfire aficionado either, will probably be corrected. Edgar is sadly missed :cry:
tim

Yes you’re right on the 22/24. I was thinking of the Spiteful. I should’ve known that, I did build the Airfix mk24 years ago! Damn this being away from my references and having to rely on sporadic WiFi in the hotel!

I’m not sure about the IIb, it would make sense to have 20’s with that designation. Not sure how many were built before the Vb’s starting rolling off the production line.