Questions on how to mount your 1/72nd aircraft to your base

Hello everyone,
I’m done with being frustrated :angry: on what to do about how to mount your model aircraft to your base for display purposes.
I have approximately 10-15 aircraft models that are available for mounting on bases, but I’m completely baffled on exactly how to do such a task!
You may ask yourself, why would I want to bother with this task? Answer is that if you want to look at it you can just pick it up from the base instead of picking the model up and having something bad happened to it while they are handling it.
So, what can I do to mount my aircraft models into place?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you.

Drill a hole into two wheels, super glue a pin/brass wire inside said hole. Mark the base and drill two holes. Super glue the pin aircraft to the base.

With the understanding that anything you do will increase the chances of a slight bump on a pitot tube, propelle or gun turning into a breakage, I would suggest a modificsation of tghe above suggestion:
Instead of gluing pins into the tires, I’d use threaded rod. If you don’t have any small enough you can easily make it with very thin bolts and a Dremel. Glue the rod into the tires. Drill corresponfing holes in the base and countersink from the bottom. Attach model through the holes and secure with nuts on the underside.
You can remove it later on if you want.

1 Like

You beat me to it! Exactly what I do. Although it helps to think ahead and drill the tires BEFORE beginning any construction - just to avoid any damage to the undercarriage.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

Good point. At our club we are usually doing it just minutes before a veteran presentation.

That work for plastic and resin wheels.

Another option is to secure wheel chalks to the base and either the aircraft to those. You can not glue the aircraft to chalks so you can remove the aircraft later. If using a single base to take to pictures/shows/club meetings, you can secure just one set of chalks to the base for one wheel and leave other other wheel chalks floating to help with aircraft with different widths.

1 Like

Uhhhh…do you mean “chocks”? :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like

Doh! Yeah….:disappointed:

1 Like

Thanks guys for the information :+1:

1 Like

Sir,
Approximately what would you recommend the best size for the pin/brass wire to be used in mounting your 1/72nd model aircraft?

1 Like

A lot depends on the aircraft wheel size and base material being used but Tichy Train has some bronze wire 0.020 or 0.032 would work.

Probably could use a cut up paper clip or pin.

I use dress makers straight pins and cut off the heads. You can buy a box of a couple of hundred for a couple of dollars. I also use them for pinning figures to bases and dio’s.

1 Like