Railroad Spike Pulling Tool?

One of my many hobbies is collecting old tools. I bought this one for $10.00 a few days ago and thought I would post a picture of it on this site. The previous owner said it was an old railroad tool that was dug up in an alley. The only markings on it are 1728 E. I did some looking on the internet and other pictures of similar tools indicate that it is a railroad spike pulling tool. I’m not sure about that so I thought I would ask all of you.

I laid a 12-inch ruler next to it.

Thank you,
Randy

4 Likes

Interesting. We just used a long bar w/a claw head on one end. That looks like it might of been used as part of a mechanized operation. Cool find!

Tim

2 Likes

Looks like it has a socket to accept a handle - and a snatch hook to link with chain some how .

1 Like

I took some more pictures this morning to show the size of it.

Thank you for the interest guys. I thought it was a pretty cool item to add to the collection.

1 Like

Found some on eBay listed as a ‘Track Rail Lifting and Positioning Tool.’ With the wooden extension in place, most likely operated by Rail Gangs (several men per opposing sides). When the rail was positioned, other workers would lay Rail Tie Plates and drive the spikes. :railway_track:

PS: I know I’ve seen these (or something like it) used in Westerns before — can’t remember where — maybe ‘Blazing Saddles!’ :rofl:

—mike

3 Likes

I was thinking it was the right size for that. Thanks for confirming.

I belive it may have been on one of the Kung Fu episodes. Much as I’d enjoy watching the 63 epiosdes again to fnid it, my time is short.

4 Likes

Yeah, watch out for the Rail Boss! :railway_track: :steam_locomotive:

—mike

That would make more sense to me just based on it’s size. A bit too big just for pulling spikes in my opinion.

Thank you guys.

1 Like

Of all the shows that have been rebooted, this should have been on the list. Not the hokey one set in the modern day either.

1 Like

@ Randy (Harv). This video illustrates the 1800’s Rail Lifting Clamp I had originally thought of when I saw yours.

Now, I have a theory that your ‘Track Rail Lifting and Positioning Tool’ may have come into play later in railroading history than the 1800’s. … The chain might have been used for crane lifting and the one-sided wooden handle could have been used by a single worker to guide the rail into position. … Still, a cool item. :railway_track:

—mike

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking Mike - you beat me to it.

1 Like

Thank you Mike.

1 Like

Very interesting

1 Like

It looks similar to a chain strainer used for rural fencing. The claws hook onto a chain one at a time and ratchet over each other. It maybe too big for that but I’m wondering if the same concept isn’t used to tighten/pull something larger?

2 Likes

I spent a lot of time contracting for the Army in the logging area of Oregon. Reminds me of this:

2 Likes

Okay Randy, it’s up to you to solve your own mystery. Attach a broom handle to that thing, go to your local rail yard and start layin’ track. :railway_track: If yard security approaches, tell them: “It’s okay, I’m a flying saucer collector.”… then run like hell! :rofl:

—mike …:flying_saucer:

2 Likes

Hmmmmmmm…that just might work!! :thinking: :grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Group, I asked the question of the railroaders I hang out with.

Kieth said it is for lifting rails, and that would have been my guess due to jaws (Kieth used to work for rail roads in Wisconsin)

1 Like

Cool, thank you Fred. Now I know what the latest addition to my rusty gold collection is. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Randy

1 Like

My vote is that Datto wins the prize here! I have used a “Come-along” for fencing but have never seen such a tool as this. Clearly you insert a wooden handle into it and cycle the ratcheting action to tighten the chain.

18Bravo - replace the hook with a handle on your logging tool and you have a pair of ice tongs. (Yes back in 1954 we had an ice box rather then a refrigerator and the deliveryman would bring in a block of ice slung over his shoulder with one of these.)

1 Like