Recent update causing problems for some users on older Operating Systems

Just a heads up but we have had at least 2 users having trouble getting the forum to display (at all). One of them is using Windows Vista and I am unsure of the situation on the second. Safe to say that these older operating systems are not safe and have been unsupported for many years now. Time to update! :slight_smile:

Vista. Oh, memories. I know there are several Apple users here. Is someone still running Tiger?

Apparently the other user is on an older Apple Mac with an older OS as well. I can only guess that something must have changed with both of these older OS at the same time. Odd though.

I looked for any report of this on the Discourse forum and nothing came up. They may be unaware of it, but tbf I doubt they could do much about it if they wanted to as it’s probably something buried in a scripting component they use as well. Microsoft stopped supporting Vista in 2012 and they fully stopped any kind of patching for it in 2017.

You sure it’s just older ones? I have a newish Mac with the latest version of Firefox and the site is loading incredibly slowly for me today…

Yes. I am sure. :slight_smile:

What is loading slowly? The forum? Armorama, AeroScale, etc?

There are literally 9 servers currently in use so you guys need to be specific. This morning for example the old server (where the archives are) was down completely. Ahh… for old times sake I guess.

Right. I didn’t realize you had so many servers in use. I’ve been having intermittent slow loading on the forum. This time when I navigated to it the response was immediate. When I sent the previous note, it took about a minute to load.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know Phil. I did just checked the cpu load for the forum instance/server thinking maybe an auto-update had run recently. That can zap the instance of a lot of it’s cpu bandwidth, but no it’s been normal with a few mild bumps in the past 8 hours or so. I would guess that was just an errant request that the internet gods decided to route in the slowest possible way via the net. It happens.

Jim, I am using an old Mac right now, and it has been recently upgraded to 10.11 El Capitan and everything works well for me. Before the upgrade, I was running 10.6 Snow Leopard and I could still see everything on the site as far as I could tell. Now, I am not a guru on the Mac, but thought you might like to know.

David

1 Like

Last week on March 1st DISCOURSE decided my browser was insufficient and told me I had to upgrade “Chrome”. I had get an SD card to increase storage space on my cell phone to accomodate the upgrade. Now, this morning when I wanted to post a comment I had to full screen the dialog box so I could see what I was typing because the keypad overlay is covering up the display, usually the display auto scrolls up enough to allow viewing the keypad below the comment text. There are other issues as well after the upgrade, sometimes when viewing a post with several pics included the images are blank with only a colored square being displayed or when viewing lengthy topic the display simply stops or locks-up and I have to refresh the page to continue. Any ideas or suggestions . . do I need to uninstall Chrome and install a different browser on my Samsung Galaxy J7?

Cajun :crocodile:

Not being an expert, it seems to me this is due to lack of memory, and if that is the case, the sd card can not remedy it.

Try closing all other apps running, do not open several tabs/windows at the same time. And you may try a different browser, look for lightweight ones.

1 Like

Yep I’m now in this predicament, I can now only access the site if I have spare time or down time while at work to briefly use the work PC as the site now doesn’t support OS older than 13 on iPad and mine is at it’s last available of 12.5.7.
A new iPad just to visit one website is out of the question as everything else still works fine.

I hate to hear that, but sadly there is nothing I can do about it. More than likely there is a potential work around (different browser, etc) for this as normally an OS is not the end-all-be-all of an application used on that OS, etc. But if people want to find these work arounds they are going to need to do some of their own research unless people can find the solutions for them.