Recreating cast texture

Loaded question to a degree, I’ve used some various putties on an M4 Sherman’s on some other projects for cast textures but I seem to recall, and I could be wrong, that some people have used Mr Surfacer for some really nice results. Correct or do I have the product mixed up with something else? Looking at Sprue Brothers cause I was debating giving it try if I’m on the right product but I noticed in the bottle line there were several different numbers in their series. If I’m looking at the right stuff, which is recommended for replicating cast texture -1000, 1200, 1500…and what is the difference between them? No one stocks in locally so I cant experiment as easily so if I’m going to order I’d rather swing and hit vs swing and miss espiecally if I got the wrong thing in mind entirely. Thanks for any assistance.

1 Like

I think most people use mr surfacer 500, get an old stiff brush and stipple. It’s pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Here is my first ever attempt a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

Mr Surfacer 500
Sprue Brothers
https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gunsf285xxx.htm

Another cheaper store Scalehobbist
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/mr-surfacer-500-40ml/GSI00001285/product.php?kw=Mr,surfacer

I shop at both stores.

2 Likes

Mr. Surfacer works well but I prefer these methods for heavier surfaces.

2 Likes

This might be of interest Night Shift - Martin Kovac on Armor Texture He has lot of truly excellent videos that are worth checking out.

Mr Surfacer is very popular.

Any high quality putty like Molak Stucco Putty or Tamiya Basic Putty can be thinned with a slow acting liquid cement like Testor’s and used.

3 Likes

I too am a big fan of his. Today is Friday so he should have a new video on YouTube.

2 Likes

I prefer the old-school method of applying liquid glue to the surface to lightly soften it then press your finger (or an old brush) onto it in random patterns to stipple it. It is cheap and looks good to me.

3 Likes

Night Shift’s stuff is excellent and the diluted putty works really well for coarse casting. I’m working on a TAS 44M right now as a test bed with Mr Surfacer 500 on the left and stippled Tamiya extra thick liquid cement on the right for a subtler texture.

Szilárd Nagy on Facebook is also a master of the technique with putty and talcum powder. I haven’t been able to reproduce it as well as him but you may have better luck!.

3 Likes

I use both stores, I don’t do to much online ordering so I bounce between a few depending on who has what I am after. Sprue Brothers is right outside of the town I grew up in so in a way its like supoorting a LHS for me if that makes since.

1 Like

Gentlemen, thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. That’s why I truly enjoy the forums. I’ve gone the route of trying putties but my results and control of application (thickness etc) still needs some more practice (as everything in this hobby revolves around). The Mr Surfacer caught my eye for an approach working around finer details where I may bit a bit hamfisted or need to get in to later for attaching various bits and pieces.

ninjrk-that talcom party looks wonderful, if I had a bit deeper reserve of experiment kits I’d certainly give it a go. right now with my limited stash I don’t feel like i could pull that off yet. Thanks for the share.

1 Like

I use Mr Surfacer 500 in the jar,I brush it on and before it completely dries,I stipple it with an old brush.Works well for exhausts too.

4 Likes