Rembering 9/11

Thanks, Matt. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

It’s a sad truth, but as time passes, events that have had such an impact on one generation will fade into memory and are gradually forgotten, or remembered merely as a footnote in history.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! 9-11 was our generation’s Pearl Harbor. Our lack of focused response pains me deeply.

6 Likes

Thanks for explaining that Albert.

3 Likes

You’re welcome.

1 Like

The focus and unity of the immediate aftermath was squandered in the ensuing years. I doubt that we will ever see such unity again in our lifetimes, even if the US is attacked on our soil again.

4 Likes

A co-worker and I were in midtown Manhattan during the attack. We called the local hospital so we could donate blood.
They thanked us but said they had more people waiting to give blood than they could handle.
Imagine that!
Kinda like the Times Square recruiting station just after Pearl Harbor.

5 Likes

My sister had to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge that morning to get home. And then of course wend her way through the insanity to get to her building. Neither of could contact one another for a day and a half, not even through internet. so we didn’t know if she was alive or dead.
And the poor dog, alone in that apartment for the same time period, was never right after that day.

6 Likes

They must have closed it after she crossed, as I had a coworker with me who lived in Brooklyn and I had to walk uptown to the 59th St Bridge before they let anyone cross over. I had to continue my march up to 74th St.

Neither of us left the site until the collapse started and then we were less than a block from the avalanche of material pouring through the streets. We both ran until we reached the Manhattan Bridge but the police directed us uptown and blocked the bridge so that’s why she had to stay with me.

My wife had no idea what was going on with me, but that same coworker was able to call her parents in PA from a pay phone and left a message we were okay and to give my wife a call so she at least knew I was alive at least until that call. I had a very upset 9-month pregnant lady to return to.

4 Likes

Mine was 8 months at the time. I was in San Diego at the time and I had a few months left of inactive reserve time on my active duty contract. I thought I was going to be activated and deployed before his birth. None of that happened, it was years later the local reserve unit I had been in deployed to Iraq and by then I was on the other side of the country. What did happen was an earthquake stuck when at the hospital before he was born. We were there for a few days so I don’t recall the exact time before birth but awoke to the ex screaming and the closet doors clapping as the building was shaking, being a few floors up nothing could be done so I went back to sleep. Either I wake up later or I don’t, the outcome wasn’t really within my control. She didn’t share the same thought process.

5 Likes