Republic P-43 Lancer | AeroScale

Here's a look at Dora Wings' 1:48 kit of the predecessor to the mighty P-47 Thunderbolt.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://aeroscale.net/news/republic-p-43-lancer

With all of those gates into the fuselage and wings were there any problems with flow or weld lines? :wave:

Hi Mark

Not that I’ve found - but there are a few dark flecks visible in the photos where it seems like the styrene isn’t totally mixed. The only moulding problems in my kit are sink marks, a short-shot tailwheel strut and the bubbles in the canopy. It’s really only the latter that are a bit of killer, which is a great shame, because the kit is a massive step up in quality over what we’d have taken for granted in a non-mainstream model only a few years ago.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

Sorry to LOL, but I was so distracted by the odd shape of the rear glass, I missed the bubble. Good luck with it. Looks like my only hope is Pavla in 1/72. :wave:

Great review Rowan, comprehensively covers what we need to see before we lay down our hard-earned. It will be very interesting to see how Dora respond to your clear parts issue, hopefully this is a one-off (and you were the lucky recipient) and they get you sorted quickly.
Fuselage half with 15 sprue attachment points, that’s a new one! The fact that they attach them on the mating faces will mean no clean-up of the visible surfaces which is great. How much work did you need to put in to get those attachment points cleaned up to get a nice flush join?

You’ve got me more anxious to get hold of the P-43B now, this looks great!

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

The attachments weren’t much hassle really - the plastic trims and sands easily, so it didn’t take as long as I expected.

All the best

1 Like

looks great kit!!!

Hi again

As I hadn’t heard back after emailing Dora Wings, I tried again this evening using the contact form on their website and received an almost immediate reply promising a replacement canopy. It’s really impressive after-sales service. :beer:

All the best

1 Like