Revell 1/72 Platinum edition Gato class sub ( USS Cobia SS-245)

And only topic read…. very strange

G.O.? Is that you?
I wonder if any of the moderators could trace the IP address to this hovel in Independence, MO?
Oops. My bad. I was admonished once for posting a photo of your castle. I’ve deleted it. How about photos of your charming neighbors instead?

The IP-nr belongs to some internet provider in Vancouver, Canada,
TELUS Communications Inc. Another IP-nr search service locates the IP-nr in Toronto
A VPN could make it possible but I doubt it

That fact that it moves around makes it highly suspect. I doubt though that you will be able to pinpoint it to the girlfriend’s basement. I’ll not post a photo of her though - not out of any sense of decorum but rather to spare the viewers,

3 Likes

Atlanta GA could have been my mistake.
The different search engines answer differently, some give the adress of the entity that has “bought” the address range containing that specific number, others answer that the IP-nr is located in a specific city or town.
Telus seem to be nationwide in Canada

I checked a few more of the IP-nr lookup services and Surrey (south of the River from Vancouver) in British Columbia seems to be the consensus.

I must admit, I did wonder if it was the same person as before…

Now that I reread the post again, I doubt it’s our old friend G.O. The spelling and grammar are too good.

Sorry Ezra, but resurrecting the thread has let a lot of new members see your work.

Lol! I thought the exact same thing as others almost immediately

The post about missing the old days is mine. I didn’t mean for the comment to be negative because I still love checking in a couple of times a week. I don’t know who G.O. is but it’s not me. Thanks, Lakota.

@Lakota I THINK, but I am not certain, that 18bravo may have wanted to link to a post below yours in that other thread.
I BELIEVE that this might be the post he wanted to reference:

Sorry about the wood deck problem. To me that would have been one of the main reasons for buying the platinum edition kit. In 1/72 you really need not scribe between the boards. According to Floating Drydock’s exhaustive Gato/Balao plan book, the boards were 1.5" high X 2" wide with a mere 3/4 " between them ( that’s a mighty thin scalpel to achieve a 1/72nd 3/4 of an inch). The issue w/ the Revell ( basic injection molded ) kit is the wood is FLUSH with the metal, not above, not much of a scale difference, but noticeable. Look at any close up photos. I’m using Nautilus Models Batfish conversion & am sanding it down as much as I dare to get a scale-ish thickness. Luv your PE brass work & some of the uber-detailing you’re doing. It’s a shame Revell’s wood deck didn’t work for ya.

1 Like

This , the “oil canning”, the rivets . . . . One of the nicest builds of this kit I have seen …BRAVO

1 Like

Really nice to see someone who actually cut the free flood vents . . . too few bother.

1 Like

Well guys the end is near, in a few days I’ll send a picture of the whole boat. But just know I completely repainted the entire lower hull and re did the weathering.

But the subject of today is the 5"/25 deck gun. It was 3D printed from Shapeways.
It was painted and weathered it with AMMO paints.

Then weathering

I dont know if its accurate for the Cobia but I added kill tallies like were on the USS Baleo

Im still waiting on the 40mm’s from Black Cat models.

Next update soon! We are finishing this one! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

What is soon to come…

9 Likes

Can’t wait…

I have photographed several of these kits at shows and yours is by far the best I have seen, and it’s not even finished!
Every single aspect of your build is superb, which is why you owe it to yourself to find an appropriately sized kill marking for the gun. There are plenty of decal sheets out there, but it would be silly to purchase one for one decal. I’m sure someone on this site could spare one from an airplane kit. The red hash marks can be cut from red decal strip.
Drive on! Always watching with interest.

Thanks for this build. I have this kit to build and this will be a great aid and inspiration.

A fine choice. If you’ve read Ezra’s entire thread you’ll know the kit doesn’t represent any late war Gato at all. However, it could be used for a very early Cobia. Actually it could be used for several early war Gatos, so long as you want one with the limber hole pattern on the kit. Otherwise you’re in for a lot more work. The Cobia is the only boat I know of with those rectangular panels on the lower fairwater, making it the easiest to build out of the box. They’re not seen on any other boat. Of course you can always sand them off as I am if you want to do a different boat. Best bet is to choose one you want (and time frame for it) and gather up as many references as you can for that boat, There are enough aftermarket items for this kit to get whichever boat you want, again as long as it was produced by Electric Boat with the right limber pattern.

1 Like

On the subject of kill tallies, does anyone recognize what these are above the “U” in “USS?”