Revell paints

I know I should know … but I dont … I only really use Tamiya & AK

What is best to thin the Revell Aqua range for spraying ? would tamiya acrylic thinner work ? or even water as its water based I imagine ?

No massively detailed answer needed, if Tamiya thinner is a non starter, I will just order some tamiya red… Im just driving past a place tomorrow that I know stocks Revell …

Revell Aqua is thick straight out of its cube. I’ve used Windsor and Newton Acrylic flow improver and a few drops of tap water whenever I’ve sprayed it. I keep meaning to try Vallejo’s airbrush thinner but haven’t got around to yet.
Tamiya thinner probably won’t work because their paint is made of something else (alcohol?) rather than water. It would probably turn Revell’s into gunge.
It’s sprays quite well though once you get it to the right consistency.

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen, will try that and do a test spray on the old tiger 1 hulk…:+1:

1 Like

No worries, happy to help. They can take a bit of thinning but I’ve had a lot of luck with them.

1 Like

Johnny, I have read several times X-20A works well with Revell Aqua. I’ve never used Revell Aqua paint so no first hand experience with the product.

1 Like

Cheers Wade. Will test both tomorrow :+1:

1 Like

Years ago I tried X-20A and had poor results. Revell makes a thinner, and that’s probably best. I personally just stick to Tamiya paints through the AB and Vallejo for the hairy stick as I know these work.

(Got tempted to Revell for GelbOliv on a Leopard - but eventually found a Tamiya mix…)

2 Likes

I had a try with some Revell Aqua red I bought today using the methods highlighted above.
Admittedly I only mixed small amounts with a brush but the results were or seemed ok.
I tried a water mix first, about 50/50 in a small metal palette… Mixed well, no clumps and brushed ok…
Next was the Tamiya X20A, same method, about 50/50 mix and mixed pretty well… No clumping and left it for a while and restirred it again…mixed exactly the same and brushed really well… Will try a mixture big enough to spray tomorrow and see how that goes… But results look promising at the moment…

3 Likes

Some good results… Went straight for the Tamiya mix this time and straight to spray on the TIE body.

Was really pleased with this. Mix was probably close to 45 % X20A and 55% Revell Aqua Italian Red and a few drops of Tamiya retarder… Mixed really easily, no clumping and sprayed fine. No clogging or surging.

The above pic was about 3 thin coats … Going to let that fully dry and do maybe 2 more thin coats, then start on the sail frames and centre hubs.

3 Likes

Sweet! The TIE is looking good!

1 Like

That’s interesting and I stand corrected. I honestly wouldn’t have thought Tamiya thinner would’ve played ball. I wonder if Gunze will work too?
Be interesting to know how it compares spraying with the Tamiya and a water based thinner. I would imagine it dries a little quicker and doesn’t run or bead quite so easily if you over thin it.

1 Like