Revells A-10 1/48th OTB

Processing: image.jpg…
Well I’ve almost completed my very first 1/48th jet ever! Has been a nice simple and relaxing build to step away from armor and recharge the modeling mojo. Now I’d like to find a nice A-10/and really put my energy into the details. I decided this one was going to be strictly OTB minus the sidewinder which came off an aborted F18 Superhornet.

Biggest challenge which I conquered to my satisfaction was the seam lines and overall fit that Revell can be notorious about. At no point did this seemed destined to crash on approach and find the the tires of a 2020 Ranger out of disgust.

There are areas that could have been worked more but I didn’t feel that this kit really warranted that much effort. I would like to know what are the go to A-10 kits in 1/48 because as I mentioned I have this itch to throw aftermarket resin and PE along w some scratch building to make a standout build (well for me anyways).

If you seen any obvious things that I can step up on for my next plane build let me know (yes I know some of the underwing stores aren’t square/ parallel but they settled funny on me and honestly should have been replaced but that wasn’t this exercise) lesson 2 learned along w my vert stabilizers are ‘trued’ up evenly.

Anyways thanks for looking and any comments, going to play around with some light washes and oil mapping before adding the final details.

Btw, this hasn’t received a final clear coat yet so excuse the not quite finished up finish on the decals. I’ll be doing that after adding a little tonal variation. Panel highlights were mostly done w AK pencils and some Tamiya panel lining and very select dry brushing so far.

9 Likes

Chris, that came out nice. As you mentioned of no final cost explains the shine. Yes, a flat cost is a must for these bad boys.

From what I have heard this old monogram/Revell 1/48 A-10A is very accurate in its shape and size compare to others out here. However, I have not seen the new academy 1/48 kits which is getting a lot of attention as a good kit to build and it’s a A-10C not A.

I have a 1/32 A-10A Trumpeter kit that I want to build in an honor of a friend who flew her. He was 11th pilot to get check out on the 1st A-10 Sq. and was the only Hog driver to fly the SR-71.

Do post the final photos when finished. :wink:

2 Likes

Chris, you’ve done a great job with that kit and I’m jealous as I’m itching to have a crack at an A-10 myself.

2 Likes

Great job. That looks great.

Academy has a new tool 1/48 version out that’s been crazy popular.

4 Likes

The A-10 is one of my all-time favourites. Very well done!

1 Like

Chris, I sent this post to former Monogram draftsman, designer-cum-executive R. Johnson. The first model that he designed for Monogram was the 1/72 A-10. I asked him if he had insight or backstories to the original and the 1/48 model. Below is what he wrote.

In 1974, I began working with Lt. Col. Alan Schreihofer. He had served as Commander of the PAO (Public Affairs Office) for Tactical Air Command and was the USAF “Point of Contact” for the development of the 1/72nd scale F-15… That began with Jack Behrends at Monogram, but, Roger turned it over to me as I had served as a USAF Acft Mx Officer. As you will remember 1975 was a difficult time for the US Military… The war in Vietnam really ended in 1973 when Linebacker II brought the North Vietnamese Government to its knees…

The USAF was pushing three new aircraft types: The General Dynamics F-16, the McDonnell Douglas F-15 “Eagle”, and the Fairchild Republic A-10 “Thunderbolt II”. Col. Schreihofer had served as the PAO for “The Thunderbirds” from 1963 - 1966 and understood the impact of model aircraft for youngsters who would form the basis of future “Airmen”. The USAF needed “good press” in the mid- to late 1970’s and assisting in the development of scale model kits was a “known method” to increase visibility of these aircraft types. Jack had worked to develop the 1/72nd YF-16 project through “test shots” and the prototype F-15 molded in Air Superiority Blue was close behind. The A-10 was a revolutionary design for the USAF; a dedicated Ground Support aircraft with the GAU-8 as the main armament that would become “the signature” of the type. Col. Schreihofer provided me with a direct contact at Fairchild-Republic in Farmingdale, NY. Roy Wendell was, like most every Public Affairs Director, a fellow who really knew the firm’s aviation history and was dedicated to “getting it right”. This combination of Air Force and Corporate “horsepower” significantly eased the task on new projects. As a point of interest, a conversion project had been approved for development in the Monogram product plan; a “Razorback” P-47D and a new hire, Clark Macomber, was assigned the project. I was rather startled when Clark advised me that with the old file for Kit PA-187, he advised that the leading edge of the wing was .250" too far forward - 12" in scale!! I advised Roger I would contact Roy and ask for Republic data that would indicate the fuselage and wing station data for the actual location of the wings. Clark was skeptical since WWII was over more than two decades and few Thunderbolts survived. Roy seemed puzzled by my request, but he was sure he knew where he could find the accurate information. Several weeks later, a package arrived from Roy and Clark was simply amazed. Not only did the new version of the P-47D have the correct wing location, but the original P-47D “Bubbletop” was corrected as well. I know of no modeler who ever knew about those revisions!

Roy and Col. Schreihofer were well aware that the “low and slow” A-10 was not viewed kindly by the “Fast Mover” faction within the USAF. Roy provided Monogram with very detailed loft line and detailed 4-view layouts with the updates for the first production quantity. Detailed drawings with all pertinent Fuselage, Wing, and Tail Group stations were provided as well as verification of the location of the wing pylons. We also discussed the correct armament to be included in the kit. The cooperation of Roy Wendell on behalf of Fairchild-Republic was exemplary!

Col. Schreihofer “cleared the way” for a photo session with the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing that was designated as the Operational Training Unit for the A-10. The Wing not only had a legendary history during World War II, the 355th made history while deployed to Takhli RTAFB from 1965 through December of 1970 flying the Fairchild-Republic F-105 “Thunderchief”. In time, Roy would play a crucial part in the development of the Monogram 1/48th scale F-105D/F/G versions of “The Thud”.

The attached image shows the aircraft that was provided by the 355th along with the jet’s Crew Chief. Everything that was needed was provided!! I was fortunate to be the person assigned to develop the 1/72nd scale kit and did so with the beneficial support and review of the USAF PAO and technical staff within the manufacturer through the office of Public Affairs. Just short of 50 years when all kit no. 5405 was introduced in 1977. There are certainly critics who critique the accuracy of this kit, but it remains one of the most accurate replicas of the initial production A-10 “Thunderbolt II’s” and is lasting tribute to the skills of the Monogram patternmakers in crafting shapes that captured the actual aircraft well!!

I always found the initial release box art that depicted an airborne assembled model disappointing. In fact, model manufacturers in the U.S. when the obstructive CPSC demanded that the box depict the actual contents. It may have pleased shopping mothers, but, that presentation “crushed” the fantasy aspect that placed potential customers of all ages who KNEW what to expect in a kit! In 2015, a short video titled Grunts in the Sky captured all that the A-10 was legendary for. One pilot interviewed clearly stated that he was “committed to saving the guys on the ground”! An A-10 Pilot identified as “KARL” spoke of seeing a model kit of the A-10 in a hobby shop when he was in school. The video showed a box by Revell titled “Grumman A-10 Thunderbolt II” when in fact the debut kit in 1977 was a Monogram release. “KARL” was well-known for destroying a record number of Iraqi tanks during “Desert Storm”.

The 1/48th scale A-10 was an evolutionary development of the 1/72nd scale kit. There was no connection intentionally between the part breakdown of the two kits. The 1/48th scale kit, No. 5505, debuted in 1986 and was designed by Dave Jones. I have NEVER been pleased with the open elevons since they are usually open during ground attack Ops and during roll-out after landing. Nonetheless, it admirably captures the shapes of the A-10 during the mid-1980’s.

Hope that this helps!! In my mind, both kits are “top notch”!!

3 Likes

3 Likes

That came out fantastic, congrats!

1 Like

Chris, your awesome A-10 only whets my appetite to build one of them. For a year I worked the 122nd Fighter Wing Blacksnakes at FWA, and even enjoyed an A-10 simulator flight. Now that I am finally interested in building a model of the A-10, I have to decide whether I want Monogram’s 1/72 or 1/48 kit. Knowing the background of the two models makes me more interested.

1 Like

And all completed. Meant to update a bit ago but as you can on the bench other projects are ongoing too!
Appreciate all the kind words. Painted w Vallejo, Mission Models. Tamiya panel liner, weathered w oils to modulate and depth to the camo colors as well as subtle weathering. Highlights and other streaking to w AK’s line of pencils and dry brushing w complimentary colors.

4 Likes

Fred, I may have to hit Hobby Lobby next time they have kits on sale and grab another to do in the two tone scheme. I think I’ll do some digging for better armanent as I wasn’t too impressed w the kits stuff. And see if there’s some better aftermarket cockpit stuff out there, or at least grab a nice ACES II for the cockpit. Your correspondence talking about the kit was very informative though I can see a C model from Academy maybe jointing the flight line. Growing up Richard Gebauers air base was just outside of KCMO with the 144th based there. Saw A-10’s all the time and down by Truman Resevoir they’d be doing low level stuff right over us fisherman’s heads which was always a blast to see. Prior to the 10’s there were C 130’s and I grew up working in a LHS and a load master named Sgt Rock came in every Saturday along w some A-10 pilots a few years after. Never missed an air show at “Dickie Goobers” as the AF guys called it.

Thanks so much for the follow up info.

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

That must have been really cool having the base so close. I’ve never really lived anywhere that had a base that close, except for El Paso, and the ANG at Fort Wayne. When I was in 9th grade, my dad took me out of school for a week to go fishing with him and his buddies at Toledo Bend Reservoir along the border of Texas and Louisiana. One day while we were fishing, a flight of A-7s made diving passes on us. They were probably aiming at something a continent away, but I’ve read that when you’re on a ship, and an airplane is pointing roughly in your general direction, it has the illusion of coming straight at you. Regardless, it is really a neat thing for 9th grader to watch.

Now I have an itch to build an A-10. I think as a tribute to Mr. Johnson, I’ll go with the 1/72 Monogram kit.

He sent me an attachment with a history of contacts in military and industry that Monogram used to prepare their models. I’m going to post that very soon.

Enjoy, Fred

1 Like

Good job on that Thunderbolt II.

1 Like