Rifle slings from MJ?

Hi folks, just a quick question. Has anyone used the 1/35 3D printed rifle slings from MJ Miniatures? Any good? Opinions, thoughts? Just would like to see what everyone thinks before I shell out on them as they’re pretty expensive.
G.

I actually, last night, tried one. Of all things, I “converted” an M1 Garand sling to fit an M1 Carbine.
Now, I had to chop off a few mm on one end, but I learned these things:
1-The slings can be a challenge to remove due to the print “stilts” and their flexibility; I ended up patiently cutting them off as I lay the sling on a cutting mat.
2-The slings will bend in hot water, but I found not as easily as cast resin. Be patient, bend a bit at a time.
3-I drilled a wee hole for the “nub” at the swivel and used medium super glue and a kicker. held up as I installed the part.

This is my first time using the MJ slings, much less 3D printed parts (as opposed to cast resin, a la TMD, Black Dog, etc) so i know I made the process more difficult that it should be. Lesson, though, is that if I can get it done, it’s doable.

Finally, the sling does look great once installed and under primer.

Good Luck

Mike M

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight, Mike. I appreciate it. Did you find the detail ok? Equal to etched brass or similar? I’m also looking at the Garand slings for an Alpine Para I’ve got on the bench.
G.

What ever happened to lead foil, and PE buckles/sliders? :pouting_cat:
:smiley: :canada:

3 Likes

Hi Leo, that used to be my go-to when making slings but I damaged the nerves in my hand earlier this year and lost some dexterity in it. Until the nerves grow back, I’m limited to stock resin figures, maybe with a little conversion like a head change. It’s getting better with time though, so hopefully, I’ll be back to doing full conversions soon enough. On the plus side , doing the larger scale figures is improving my painting skills (about time!) .
G.

Sorry to hear that Lazarus, hope you get better soon. Keep pumping out great figures bro!

2 Likes

One of those things Rich, doc says it could be 6-18 months before I get full dexterity. Hope it’s sooner though. I’ve got a full cupboard of DML figs and about 30 part done to get finished :grin:. More than enough to see me into my box! Painting’s getting there though.
G.

Responding from work, again, so no pictures.

The detail is very crisp, the edges of the sling are sharp; equal to PE slings I’ve seen (admittedly never used).

Given the difficulty to find and cost of PE buckles, these slings are a viable choice.

1 Like

Ok Mike, you’ve convinced me! Now ordered and I’ll post the results when I get it finished. Thanks again mate :+1:
G.

Gladly, interested to see other results.

Figures, I just saw that Sprue Bros. now has MJ Carbine slings…

1 Like

Bit late in my answer, but the guy on the right has an MJ sling as does the carbine on the Jeep seat.
Detail is superb, better than any etched brass, but they are fiddly to remove from the sprue, but worth the effort.
Can be bent easily with the use of a hairdryer.

3 Likes

Can’t argue with those results, Rob. I get the feeling that some US troops are next on the bench :grin:
Thanks for sharing the the pics, mate. Saved!
G.

1 Like

I used to use empty tooth paste tubes and going to try zinc plate I got thru e-bay,can’t find lead foil now,so if the zinc turns into a headache it wii be back to searching toothpaste tubes

2 Likes

Hi John, pewter foil has replaced lead foil nowadays due to safety concerns. Not sure where you’re from but, I used to get mine from Fred Aldous in the UK, although it’s pretty freely available elsewhere (Google is your friend….). It has the same characteristics as lead foil but, doesn’t oxidise like the lead does. Hope this helps.
G.