Roden Albatros D.III -Voss

Top Smith
The Roden kit has its limitations but there are enough build reviews on line to warn you well ahead so you don’t fall into some of the pitfalls. I found some very helpful WW1 enthusiasts that helped me a great deal. The shape of the aircraft is good to start with so it is just a matter of gathering your references and being careful. I have a few Wingnut Fokkers but I’d love to build one of their Albatros Va but I refuse to pay the prices people are asking. I did buy another Roden D111 OEF version and I have the Meng Tri plane yet to go. For the price you can’t beat the Roden kits.

1 Like

I agree with you and by the way, your model is fantastic! I used the Roden Albatros kits (D.I, D.II (Encore) and D.III) to teach myself how to build kits again when I started building after a 55yr lay off. They’re good enough to practice all the techniques you see on forums and YouTube clips without sending you into despair due to the waste of money when you make soo many mistakes. I’d second your advice and check out the forums and YouTube clips which show step by step builds (but miss out all the tricky bits!).

As for high quality WWI kits, clearly you can’t go past WnW if you can afford to buy them but I’m sensing they are starting to slowly drop in price. Lets see what happens. If you want the closest to a WnW kit then in my view clearly the Meng Fokker Triplane and CSM are producing some fantastic kits at a better price. Just finishing my first CSM, the Bristol Scout and it’s been a joy to build.

Cheers,

Ian