Roman centurion 1st-2nd A.D. 75mm

Starting this very nice figure from Minormous at Myminifactory https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-295789 , which I printed on my new 3D printer for testing.
Base with black and grey GSW primer:

6 Likes

Basic skin colors on this guy and Vallejo steel for the lorica hamata:

7 Likes

I will probably go for this drawing on the shield:

6 Likes

I had to reprint the head, I broke some of the fine parts so it will be repainted. I tried something different, because acrylic metallics don’t have that shine, so I brushed over the steel Gunze Super silver, which is buffable. The only negative is the smell, because it is lacquer, but the finish is super smooth.

9 Likes

More details painting, next will be the flesh tones:

10 Likes

Looking excellent already

2 Likes

Working on the flesh tones:

10 Likes

That figure looks excellent. Nice neat job and the flesh tones look nice and subtle. Great job !

2 Likes

@metalhead85 Thanks!

Proceeding with the various decorations painted with different metallics-gold (medals), bronze (belt), brass (helmet) and silver:

6 Likes

Working on the shield, the drawing will be the most challenging thing:

Cheers!

5 Likes

Draw the design in cad then print and make a mask from that.

2 Likes

I thought about it, but in reality this was also hand drawn. So it will not be fully symmetrical, no matter how good the painter was. I will draw the the shape first with pencil, then will fill it with paint.

4 Likes

Drawing the basic shapes of the arrows and the wings and filling with Grim brown:

5 Likes

I suspect that each shield was painted by it’s owner, or he paid someone if he couldn’t handle the job himself. There may have been an “official” unit design and quality control, but with room for personal touches. It also is worth remembering the sort of “hobby skills” that can evolve from necessary ones; for example in the Nelson-Era Royal Navy the lower deck had to make or adjust the fit of their own clothes, and embroidery became a popular off-duty activity. In respect of your figure, check out the surviving semi-cylindrical scutum from Dura Europos…
Reproduction:


Cheers,

M

4 Likes

Yes, I know the Dura-Europus one, it is a piece of art :slightly_smiling_face:

I went with something more simple and recognisable, but I could add some personal touch.

Cheers!

3 Likes

True, and Simon James suggests the oval decorated shield in the Yale collection is a lightweight version made especially for the hippika gymnasia, as described by Lucius Flavius Arrianus (Nicomediensis). But it is likely there was considerable investment (time and/or money) in the decoration of shields as when not in use they were protected by thin leather covers (tegimenta).

Cheers,

M

3 Likes

Attempt at painting those wings, never realised how pita is to paint yellow. Looks okayish, but I will see, maybe will strip the paint and try again. Also very disappointed with that DaVinci brush, splaying hairs everywhere, not good for that premium price.

5 Likes

I think it looks excellent!

2 Likes

I repainted the face of the shield with Tamiya Hull red and Flat red, then with Tamiya masks I cut the shapes of the wings. Then with AK Brown rose for the yellow base and Sahara yellow for the main color. I like the colors this time, but the masks bled very badly (thanks Tamiya :confused: ) and now I don’t think I have desire to continue with correcting the bleeding. Sadly I don’t know of any decals for Roman shields, otherwise I would not bother. I will leave it as it is for now and will continue with my other projects.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Looks fantastic

2 Likes