Royal Logistic Corps Museum - Hampshire, UK

Earlier this week I visited the RLC Museum with my modelling mate Pete Smith; it was only opened last year and is around 40 mins drive away from where I live. Pete runs a modelling blog and his report on the museum is here:

Pete’s Model World : RLC Museum Worthy Down Visit (petesmodelworld.blogspot.com)

I must just add that in his preamble Pete mentions the amalgamation and establishment of the Corps but I must point out that regarding the Royal Engineers it was only the Postal and Courier component which was absorbed into the RLC; the RE continues to function as a corps in its own right. This all took back in the early 90s when the Army, for whatever reason (mainly cost and the eternal short-sightedness of senior officers) began, in my opinion, the inexorable trashing of the British Army.

I must point out that a museum representing its 5 antecedent corps cannot cover as much as arguably, it should, but it was not uninteresting; I was unaware for instance, that the British Army had purloined Napoleon’s personal field bakery back in the day! Anyway, enjoy.

3 Likes

That is a very interesting museum Brian- some awesome looking exhibits and its nice to see scale model displays being used to illustrate what the RLC did. Do you happen to know who did the models for the museum?

I also never knew the British used the M3 Grease Gun!

I was also wondering- in regards to the EOD Humber Pig- when I was growing up in Belfast the EOD units used the Alvis Tactica- where there any of those at the museum?

Karl, as far as I could see the modellers were unattributed; the M3 Grease Gun was part of a display re the Falklands.

No Alvis Tactica I’m afraid; as one of the antecedent corps was the Royal Corps of Transport I thought that the transport side - ie vehicles was a bit lacking - but then it all comes down to space. I chatted to the guy on the desk (a former RCT operator) about this, opining that the good old faithful 10T “Knocker” should be represented. He too agreed and had been trying to get those who matter to consider a DUKW (used well up until the 70s by the Army and even later by the Marines) but as he pointed out, these are huge vehicles and at eye level wouldn’t add much value to the casual punter. There was a viewing gallery but such vehicles would prevent a lot of other stuff being shown. He did agree though that a Stalwart really should be somewhere on display. I also thought that a representative vehicle from BRIXMIS (driven by highly trained RCT personnel) should be there - or perhaps they could borrow the Merc G Wagen from the Int Corps museum at Chicksands - but what do I know?!

So, one could argue that there was a lot more that could or even should, be displayed, but again it all comes down to money, real estate (although there was plenty to go around seeing that it’s at the Worthy Down base) and will.

It was worth the visit even if only a reminder that you can have all the shiny AFVs in the world, but sans spares, fuel, ammo etc, they ain’t going anywhere.

For those considering visiting, the Army Air Corps Museum at Middle Wallop is only around 15-20 mins away, so you could always kill 2 birds with one stone. Very decent pubs/restaurants in nearby Stockbridge.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info Brian- I suppose you can have a ‘dream list’ of vehicles you want to see in a Museum but practicality will limit that list a good bit!