Rumour (but trustworthy?) Trumpeter M984?

Another one :
A Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT) A4 wrecker with the 211th Maintenance Company out of Newark, Ohio, tows a M915A5 truck tractor with the 1487th Transporation Company out of Piqua, Ohio, while completing tactical convoy operations training June 21, 2018, at the Camp Grayling Joint Maneuver Training Center in Grayling, Michigan.

H.P.

1 Like

Not only the Marines, the US Army also uses the M984A4. Like Frenchy postet in his last post.

Hope Trumpeter gets the wheels right. On the M984 the rear wheels use the same rims as the front wheels. When I did my Hobbyfan conversion I had Real Models sell me a set of wheel that where just front wheels.

No HEMTT in service with the USMC. Marines used a similar looking vehicle called the Logistics Vehicle System or LVS. Contrary to HEMTT the LVS had an articulated steer and would be hard to convert from a HEMTT kit.

1 Like

Hi Hans-Hermann,

I don’t know, why I was talking about the marines.

Now ready for preorder: https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Fahrzeuge/Militaer-1-35/Radfahrzeuge-1-35/Modern-ab-1945-Radfahrzeuge-1-35/West-Radfahrzeuge-ab-1945-1-35/M984A2-HEMTT-Wrecker

81 € is quite expensive. Í thought that each new kit of the HEMTT will get a little cheaper. :wink:

1 Like

New kits should be cheaper, they must be able to reuse parts from the M983 kit, I guess?

The price depends on how much is reuse and how much is new parts.
The cost for the reused parts consists of direct production costs, cost for mold maintenance/renewal, how much of the initial mold investment was planned to be recovered by each variant and a load of other factors.

Try the reasoning on jeans; next years production should basically be free since Levi already designed the jeans last year.
If they add a new button on the 2022 model of Levi’s, those trousers should basically cost like a button since the button is the only new part?

I think that Trumpeter made the HEMTT kits with a lot a varaints in mind. “Milk the cow until she collapses”. But I still wonder why the don´t do “bread and butter” HEMTT´s like M977 and M978?
They have the best available references to their disposal. Speaking about costs, I ordered some sprues a while ago and they charged me 4 USD a piece. I guess there a many greedy hands between China and Germany?

Agreed. I have plans to convert an M983 into an M977 by stretching the frame and adding the Italeri bed, crane, etc. onto it. It would be much easier if they just did one.

I wish they would do the A4 variants as well.

1 Like

Hi Gino,

I suggest to use the Trumpeter M1120 as a base. I did the lenghtening of the M983, and I suppose, the M1120 kit would have made my work easier?

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/258728-page=2.htm

Regards

Thomas

PS No, my model is still not finished. Too much time required for my book projects.

I remember yours. It was/is coming along nicely. I have already done the frame stretch before on my M1074 PLS, so no real issues there. I already have the M983 and an Italeri M977 frame (to compare length) as well.

Using the M984 kit is easier for making a M977. I hope the Grove crane will be lightyears ahead of the Italeri release. M983 having a 181 inch wheelbase, M984 191 inch wheelbase and M977/M978
a 210 inch wheelbase.

Depends on how you look at it. The M1120 has the same frame length, 402 overall inches. The M984 will most likely have a better crane, but still needs to be stretched slightly. Either way you still have to do some scratch-building.

Hi.
I have the M1120 frame in my spare box, it’s the sprue P. I ordered this sprue from Trumpeter a year ago.
If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

And doing some scratch building is a bad thing? Gotta keep your hand in and stretch your abilities very so often.

Gino you know where I coming from on that.

5061943847_3f3b38999f_z

DARN: Another A2, and here I thought this might be Trumpeter’s way of introducing a newly tooled A4

1 Like

Older HEMTT:
These guys stopped at a Wendy’s for lunch a few years back: Lawrenceburg, Kentucky

All Photos Copyright Mike Koenig

1 Like

Frst pics of the sprues.
https://1999.co.jp/eng/image/10851386

2 Likes

Well, like the new Takom M114A1 and A1E1 which will sit next to my Accurate Armour A1E1, the new 984 will have to sit next to my Hobby Fan conversion of the Italeri truck. The Trumpeter kit will certainly be easier to build than the amount of work that went into the HF conversion. Future release date guesses?