Ryefield Sherman M4A3 E8 with Interior

Hello,

In between a couple of large diorama’s and a Schnellboot here are some preview build images of the Ryefield Sherman M4A3 76mm E8 with Interior.
Have not seen too many builds around at this site and wanted to share the Kit images before painting. The Lower Hull is built and after posting these images will be moving to the Turret interior.
Once all the internals are painted it will be closed up and all the external components will be glued onto the tank.

Will be Using the Fruil T66 tracks in Lui of the kit tracks. Still trying to work out what figures to be used as with a large number in the spares box still not sure how to pose the figures but all hatches will be open except the engine bay.

It’s not a shake and bake kit and be prepared to spend the time on the build. There are a lot of sink marks in the lower hull and some of them will have to be address but a lot of them are covered up.

The sequence in the Instruction booklet is a little strange so to speak in regards to building the running gear midway through and not at the start.

The way it is laid out in the Photo sequence is to have it easy to paint and detail. Ie; Sub Sections and glue in place once painted.
More to follow… shortly

Michael

11 Likes

Lots of detail there, and looks like it’s going to be another great build Michael. Did it come with the PE as included ?

1 Like

Thanks Johnnych01.

Yes the etch come in the kit and it’s small and challenging to hold when cutting off the fret.

Michael

Looks pretty nice looking forward to your progress

1 Like

Thanks Tojo72

Michael

I am impressed with what I can see of the mold quality. It appears crisp and the detail stands out. I will be interested in following you through the build,

1 Like

I’ve been excited to see one of these! It’s one I’m hoping to get myself soon. I’m currently working on their other E8. You are correct, their assembly directions and sequences are rather odd!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing more! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you for your comments.

Will try and get the turret Images uploaded tonight.

Michael.

Michael, my step fathers name is Michael Welsh! this is just too creepy!

What color are you going to use for the interior and the engine? I’ve not looked into Sherman interiors yet, any good sources of information you can share?

1 Like

Hello BoomBazookaJD,

The interior of the Sherman will be similar to M4 Sherman built way back in 2002 in the age of using resin and sanding. 2 different detail sets of a Tank Workshop Engine and Verlinden Sherman interior. The information was limited back then and I think the only difference was the Engine access hatch on the M4 was meant to be in Olive drab and not white.

For arguments sake I am still going to paint the inside of the engine access hatches in white.
With the amount of washes and pigments we have available now we are able to create more depth with the shadows inside the tank back in 2002 it was home made washes and detailing.

The reference info below will throw out some ideas on how the M4A3 E8 will look.

Michael

7 Likes

I have Hunnitcut’s book and Sherman In Action. I can’t wait to see this build come along!

1 Like

Thanks BoomBazookaJD.

Here are the next batch of images for the Turret.

next stages are
Build all the hatches.
Prime, paint and weather the inside of sherman.
Glue the tank together and then move to glueing the external components onto the exterior.

Michael

7 Likes

Very nice job.
Dan

1 Like

Thanks Dan.

Michael

Very nice! Im planning next year to build this kit as a cut away.

Thanks Ezra,

There is a lot of detail to show off the inside of this tank.

Michael

Man it seems that armor model kits have really entered the ‘golden age’, in the last ten years. Rye Field, Takom… all these interior kits.

2 Likes

Yes and Miniart have taken the kits to the next level.

The T34/85 with interior is Fantastic. Full of detail.

The only down side its a longer time to build. :frowning_face: :laughing:

Michael :beers:

2 Likes

Did someone say the Border Mark 4 with interior will have up to 1500 pieces? :anguished:
Kinda like cutting your lawn one blade at a time.

3 Likes