SADF Rooikat

The regular Vallejo is a tad darker. I will use that on the crew fig I have from Djiti…

1 Like

I still have the old Fire Force Ratel 90. I’ll build it someday!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/35-fire-force-south-african-ratel-90-1897929214

1 Like

I’m going to be out of circulation for a while, build wise, whilst I recover from my hip replacement op.

I will be following my fave builds an reads.

Talk to you all soon.

Gavin

1 Like

Hope it all went well, and you are up and about soon Gavin.

2 Likes

I am back and moving along slowly with the Rooikat. Some of this is downright fiddly, insofar as how they have molded the parts and how they are mounted on the sprue… makes for a really difficult clean up. The front lights are in an armoured housing behind the front armour. I think that I will either mount the front armour and the figure out how to paint the lights or paint them first them mount the front armour… this will need some thought.

As you can see a bit awkward.

The back is looking great with a bit of PE and some more over the engine grill.

The turret is very large even though it’s only an adapted Italian 76mm naval gun. I’m guessing that was to include for the 105mm export variant.

As you can see on the smoke dischargers, the nasty sprue cutoff between the mounts, does not make for easy prepping.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

I will leave you with a picture of an xray of my new hip.

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
Thanks again for watching.

4 Likes

Think I left the lights as is, , you would need a torch to find out if painted or not.

1 Like

I’m definitely with Frank here. With the shutter you won’t see the light anyway.

Olivier

4 Likes

Yes what the others have said. I drilled out the light, painted it, added clear lens and fitted it after the exterior was painted, and now you only barely see a hint of glimmer off the lens when you have the light hitting it just right and nothing at all otherwise.

1 Like

Thanks gents, that does make me feel a whole lot better about just leaving it.

I do like the finish on your Rooikat, Olivier and the fact that you don’t have the side view mirrors deployed. Nice touch.

Gavin

1 Like

Thank you Gavin. Folding down the side view mirrors is the best way I found to avoid breaking them during handling. I do it as often as I can.

Olivier

1 Like

Hi ya all!

The weather is improving, managed to get some Halfords primer and colour down onto the Rooikat this weekend.

The Halfords primer works well.

For the colour I opted for the Vallejo BS Dark Earth. Very happy with the results.

Next I have to seal, pin wash and add plenty of dust.

I’m thinking of naming this build “Klein Boet” and when I do the Eland Mk7 “Noddy Car”, this will be named “Ou Boet”. Little/ younger brother and older brother.

If the Ratel 90 IFV ever becomes available as a plastic kit, this will be named “Boettie” or “Boet”, brother.

Thanks for watching.:vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Hi ya all!

After much procrastination I started the pin wash.

Initially looking like a very large brown turd, I am hoping the pin wash and weathering will bring this build to life.

Started on the turret.

Phew, this is starting to look better.

Thanks for watching.:vulcan_salute:t3:

7 Likes

Let there be dust!

Found a great product, Modellers Pigment, Brown Earth. I am in the process of applying it liberally to my Rooikat.

As you can see in this image of a test bed variant, the dust really sticks.

This is what I am trying to emulate with my build.

Thanks for watching. :vulcan_salute:t3:

4 Likes

Looks like good stuff,did those wheels nice,got a link to where you got it

1 Like

35ml Brown Earth Pigment Modellers World MWP017

Got that from Scale Model Shop.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I’m edging towards the finish line. This should be done in time for Telford.

Thanks for watching.

8 Likes

Looks good,fun to watch

2 Likes