Sailmaking, or a break from speaking of rigging

Years ago a shipmate had a miniature jib sail he set whenever we motored with no sails up in good sailing weather. It was a bit defiant, so he called it his “Flying F@cksail. It wore out years ago

Here’s a 2012 photo showing Gazela’s legendary Flying F@cksail set proudly not long before its demise.

with no sails bent on two days before departure, I decided to make a replacement. It’s a trysail rather than a jib, so I’ll call it the “Nice Try Sail” or the “Try Harder Sail”.

My Nice Try Sail isn’t perfect but at least it’s done in time. Per tradition, the hem is double-sewn with waxed sail thread, a bolt-rope added with loops at the corners called “earrings”

The earrings are seized and whipped to the fabric for strength.

Now if no sails are ready before we leave I can bend my Nice Try Sail to the main staysail boom and we can leave harbor with our pride intact. :smile:

7 Likes

“Flying F@cksail” :flushed: and "Nice Try Sail” gave me the biggest laugh I’ve had all day - thank you Danie!
:laughing: :laughing: :+1:

1 Like

Here’s the Nice Try Sail bent on.

3 Likes

Fantastic! I just love it - it might give you the missing 0.0001 extra knot in the end :laughing:

And thanks for sharing that, in this post and the other where you’re showing the Gazela being prepared for sea!

Cheers
Jan

This had me snorting, recalling the line from 2V-R8, the Sith Empire ship droid companion in SWTOR: “I’ve just finished cleaning the fuel injectors to the sublight drive. You should notice a .00008% power increase.”

9 knots under such a teeny sail!

1 Like

It works as as well as a headsail.

2 Likes